I don't understand this sentence~

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:44 am
Though not like the late Lord Beaconsfield "born in a library," the subject of this note came into the world a little above the top shelves of his father's book shop, in that continuation of the famous Oxford High Street leading to the eastern heights below which the ancient city lies spread in all its glory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 9
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:53 am
Since you seem to be dealing with centuries old English booksellers, it sounds like the family lived above their shop, i.e. shop on ground floor, living quarters, some sort of apartment on floor or floors above shop (which the author facetiously describes as a bit above the tops of the bookshelves) . Shop was located on Oxford High Street, which was the main street, usually a commercial street, of the town.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:55 am
@kkfengdao,
The person was born in an upper room of his father's bookshop, located on a a road which led to the higher ground to the east of Oxford, overlooking the city.
0 Replies

kkfengdao

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:08 am
Thanks!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:07 pm
@kkfengdao,
You got an adequate answer to this, but I'm bored so here's another.

Quote:
the subject of this note came into the world a little above the top shelves of his father's book shop, in that continuation of the famous Oxford High Street leading to the eastern heights below which the ancient city lies spread in all its glory.

the subject of this note...the person I am writing about

came into the world....was born

a little above the top shelves of his father's book shop....in a room above the shop

in that continuation of the famous Oxford High Street...up the road

leading to the eastern heights.....going up the hill

below which the ancient city lies...hill up, city down

spread in all its glory.....looking good
oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 06:49 pm
@McTag,
Splendid, McTag.

May I have the glory to have a look at the picture of the grace of the ancient city?
McTag

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:10 am
@oristarA,

Oxford's "dreaming spires" should be easily accessible on Google Images.
Can't you get Google there?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjcOJAacUhINm8Qz3XDsBPotpEiD4dNAx9jIYyz-u1TvUGewC04A

http://www.myenglandtravel.com/images/oxford/Oxford_Aerial.jpe
Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:06 am
People in China cannot access Google unless they have access to the net in Hong Kong. Presently, Google Hong Kong is the only Google portal available. Which means that 99% of the Chinese have no such access (keeping in mind that 88.7% of statistics are made up on the spot).
oristarA

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:32 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

People in China cannot access Google unless they have access to the net in Hong Kong. Presently, Google Hong Kong is the only Google portal available. Which means that 99% of the Chinese have no such access (keeping in mind that 88.7% of statistics are made up on the spot).

Google Hong Kong is now also blocked most of time in a day, even scientific professors of Tsinghus University, the most famous Univ in China are denied access to Google, so they groan, they complain the search results of the available portal site http://www.baidu.com/ are rubbish; they bellow that the China's network is dead.

Luckily, they've got firewall-climbing software, with which they manage to breathe to survive... Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 08:42 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Oxford's "dreaming spires" should be easily accessible on Google Images.
Can't you get Google there?

I like the name dreaming spires.
0 Replies