nerd = bookworm or technical addict?

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 01:22 am

Context:

Madam President Faust, members of the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers, faculty, family, friends, and, most importantly, today’s graduates,

Thank you for letting me share this wonderful day with you.

I am not sure I can live up to the high standards of Harvard Commencement speakers. Last year, J.K. Rowling, the billionaire novelist, who started as a classics student, graced this podium. The year before, Bill Gates, the mega-billionaire philanthropist and computer nerd stood here. Today, sadly, you have me. I am not wealthy, but at least I am a nerd.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 785 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:16 am
Missing important context: who said it, where and when:

Stephen Chu, (US Energy Secretary, former professor of physics, Nobel prizewinner)

Harvard University Commencement Speech to students

June 4 2009

There, I fixed that for you.

Your habit of using equals signs in your questions may betray a significant limitation in your comprehension, which is that you think that every word or phrase may be exactly replaced by another. Or maybe it is just shorthand for "Can thing A mean thing B?"

The word "nerd" has a number of possible meanings, depending on context and who is applying the label to whom. It generally means somebody who is perceived to have more knowledge than average about some subject considered difficult by ordinary people such as mathematics, computer science, or physics. Sometimes it means a person with low social skills obsessed with a scientific or technical subject, often showing signs of Asperger's Syndrome. Or it can just mean somebody who is interested in computers.

oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:52 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Missing important context: who said it, where and when:

Stephen Chu, (US Energy Secretary, former professor of physics, Nobel prizewinner)

Harvard University Commencement Speech to students

June 4 2009

There, I fixed that for you.

Your habit of using equals signs in your questions may betray a significant limitation in your comprehension, which is that you think that every word or phrase may be exactly replaced by another. Or maybe it is just shorthand for "Can thing A mean thing B?"
The word "nerd" has a number of possible meanings, depending on context and who is applying the label to whom. It generally means somebody who is perceived to have more knowledge than average about some subject considered difficult by ordinary people such as mathematics, computer science, or physics. Sometimes it means a person with low social skills obsessed with a scientific or technical subject, often showing signs of Asperger's Syndrome. Or it can just mean somebody who is interested in computers.

Thanks for the fixing.

But no such habit exists. I knew I could get a bunch of definitions about nerd from urban dict online. Making such a title of a thread is a way for convenience and efficiency.

If you ask me why have you asked here when urban dict has answers, it is because the speaker is a Nobel laureate and I have to be more careful to catch the exact meaning of a word he used.

And you've given me a good explanation.
0 Replies