what does this mean?

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 12:44 am
The world as a whole has progressed tremendously material-wise, and we are a fortunate nation in that we are leading the procession. It is, I believe, natural that nations not so fortunate should look upon us with envy. We would do the same if the positions were reserved, so we should not judge too harshly the efforts of others to equal our standard of living. In either case, the fortunate or the unfortunate character in the individual and collectively in a nation stands out. I agree that it is easier to build character under ideal conditions but cannot forget that character is also required to give as well as receive.

what does this sentence mean in this paragraph?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 911 • Replies: 6
No top replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 01:55 am
@lizfeehily,
The realisation that it is clear . The Unfortunate and the Fortunate, is easy to recognise. That there is characteristics in both, that make that clear to see and that it should be understood that those characters are not weaknesses, rather it is a way of life, a fact of life so give as well as receive in that knowledge.
fresco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:41 am
@lizfeehily,
It means that the writer has the view that character building requires balance, otherwise characters will become polarized and end up by considering themselves as either "haves" or "have nots", but not a mixture of both.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:42 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Question
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 03:18 am
@fresco,
So neither is easily recognised, may become polarized and therefore considered confusing.

I just speak different than you..each interpretation of things are different in life...

fresco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 03:37 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Yes...you are clearly a non-native speaker !
One wonders whether one such person can adequately advise another on semantic issues.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 03:42 am
@fresco,
Oh fresco, does it really matter how one person reads something and thinks, and replies verses semantics? My reply is how I saw it... I note maybe not this one, but how many un-answered threads there are..

If any thing, and if you gave the right answer, that person got the answer, or food for thought on another note.

Smile
0 Replies