overthrow of ... conditions ? is the collocation proper?

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 10:04 pm
Can "overthrow" be used together with "condition?"

Context:

I. Relying on Violence and Terror to Gain and Maintain Power

“The Communists disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of all existing social conditions.” [4] This quote is taken from the concluding paragraph of the Communist Manifesto, the Communist Party’s principal document. Violence is the one and main means by which the Communist Party gained power. This character trait has been passed on to all subsequent forms of the Party that have
arisen since its birth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 672 • Replies: 5
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:24 pm
wake up and sing up
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:14 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Yes, at a stretch. Remember we are talking about revolution here, which usually comes about by violent means.
oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:42 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Yes, at a stretch. Remember we are talking about revolution here, which usually comes about by violent means.

Thank you.

Would you like to give me the exact definition of the "condition?"
McTag

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 06:24 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

Social conditions:

It should be interpreted quite widely, in this context covering all of society: Local and national governance, fiscal policy, national economy, status of differing strata in society, health, means and nature of education, the mass media.......everything.
Maybe that's too sweeping a definition for "social conditions", but social conditions as outlined by the Communist Manifesto are affected by all of these things.
oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 06:50 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Social conditions:

It should be interpreted quite widely, in this context covering all of society: Local and national governance, fiscal policy, national economy, status of differing strata in society, health, means and nature of education, the mass media.......everything.
Maybe that's too sweeping a definition for "social conditions", but social conditions as outlined by the Communist Manifesto are affected by all of these things.

Excellent!

Gracias.

0 Replies