Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:19 pm
...and, if Groundhog Day is important enough to rate a mention on a calendar, then certainly Pearl Harbor Day must be.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:26 pm
Matrix- I checked my 2002 and 2003 diaries. They were made by different manufacturers, but neither has Pearl Harbor Day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:39 pm
If they can't sell a card, they're not going to put it on their calendar. At least it seems that way. I see Grandparent's Day on a calendar - never heard of it - check the card shop - sure enough there are Grandparent's Day cards.

Another factor is if calendars are made to be sold in several countries from one printing - things that have universal meaning will be listed, things with specific national interest often will not be on the calendar.

Does that seem cynical? that's ok, that's how it feels to me.

I'm feeling similarly cynical listening to Bush on the radio.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:41 pm
Isn't that weird? I'm glad that my kids at least grew up knowing about it...What happens when everone who was there is dead...if it's not on the calendars for a few years, will it one day be forgotten...Swept under the rug? History buffs will remember it, but what about the younger generation?

Of course, everyone will remember Groundhog Day!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:44 pm
Hi, ehBeth...

I ALWAYS feel cynical when listening to bu$h...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:52 pm
There are many battles from World War I that people of that time thought would never be forgotten. It was the war to end all wars, or so they thought. Now it is only history buffs, and a few descendants who remember the names of any of the battles - or people who live in the towns in Europe where they took place. The physical and personal and political scars heal, and people forget what they were meant to learn.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:57 pm
On my calendar I have special dates mentioned from many different countries, a lot of them I'd never heard of until I looked them up...there are actually quite a few of them, and some of them commemorate dates that mean nothing to me or my country. I'm not bothered that they're there, quite the contrary...reading about them taught me something new.

Just saw your last post. I agree...and I think it's sad, because if we forget, then we repeat.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:25 am
Somehow, I didn't get updates so I am very late in responding. I remember December 7th because my brother died in the aftermath. He was on the Bataan Death March and survived that, but died of cerebreal malaria in a prison camp. I never got to know my brother, the first born and only son in our family. One doesn't see much in the way of commeration concerning the war in the Pacific, or at least, I haven't. Pity,really. I remember reading a letter from him to my dad, written on signal corps paper. He described a beautiful chapel in the mountains of the Phillipines with pipe organs delicately carved from bamboo.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:30 am
forgive the misspelling, folks...(typos, I like to call them) that should be:commenoration.
0 Replies