Letty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:16 pm
After watching CNN news, I discovered that it was the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Reporters were pushing for details and announcements concerning any disclosures that should involve the American people as well as the rest of the world, about the impending situation in Iraq. Clips were shown as examples of prescedents in former times of crisis, i.e. Henry Cabot Lodge's demonstration of the microphone planted by the Russians in the U.S. embassy, and Kennedy's announcement about the build up of missiles in Cuba . Does anyone see any relevancy with this anniversary and the lackof information from our President citing hard evidence supplied by the weapons inspectors?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,229 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:33 pm
Letty- I think that the problem is, that there is nothing to tell.... yet. Trying to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq is probably statistically less likely than finding a needle in a haystack, IMO.While the U.N. was sitting around debating, Saddam and his henchman were probably scrambling around to hide the evidence.

I think that the American government had to hold off on committing any aggressive acts towards Iraq until the UN was through with its deliberations, and the inspections completed, for two reasons-

It would give the allies of the US time to realize that Saddam is still pulling his stalling game. He has absolutely no intention of giving up any weapons of mass destruction. In time, this realization would ally like thinking nations with the US, which would be valuable in time of war.

It gives the US the opportunity to put a war machine in place.

As far as December 7, I am more concerned about a serious terrorist attack on this date. Psychologically, it would be quite a coup for the terrorists!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:57 pm
You've made several good points, Phoenix, and yes, a good day for dying as well as a good day for rousing anew the patriotic spirit..Remember the Alamo....Remember the maine...War and Remembrance...etc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:57 pm
If we do release evidence it will be to refute the declaration Iraq was required to make. But I doubt our evidence will be worth releasing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:00 pm
Craven, Do you think it's a done deal, then and that we're just going through the motions?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:09 pm
It's not a done deal IMO but is as close to it as it can get. The administration is getting some curveballs thrown at them (like the fact that the Iraqi declaration will be examined and perhaps edited before it's realeased) but I think they'll eventually hit the ball.

I wish the administration would stop banging the drums during the inspections, it makes us look too eager.

Saying things like that every country with an active intelligence program "knows" about Iraqi WOMD is silly. It just raises the question of why this evidence isn't being used to find the WOMDs and only to keep the drum roll rolling.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:23 pm
Think so, Craven? Seems like we've given Iraq an easy way out, only provided they can continue to hide weapons and weapons' developement sites, which I do believe exist. That is, if Saddam can present an appearance of compliance, doesn't that sort of steal our thunder?

Anyway, without some fairly substantial cooperation from Turkey and the Saudis, a war would be difficult to prosecute, and an occupation would be almost impossible to maintain.

<Not quite addressing Letty's topic>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:23 pm
Yes, It looks as though the minstrel boys are going to war..."...beat,beat,drums".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:31 pm
Yeah, Rog. You're completely on thread--just lookin' at clouds from both sides, I reckon.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:35 pm
roger,

I am pretty sure they have them. I also think they won't admit to it. But if we say the lie is a material breach without throwing a bone to the peace camp it just makes us look eager.

Turkey just said that they do not want substantial troops hosted there and that they will only agree to help if there is a second resolution. So I think it's to our own interests not to look too eager to jumpstart this because there's a chance Sadaam will do something stupid and take the onus off of us.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:52 pm
I think that if we say they are lying, we put ourselves in the position of proving the lie. I believe they are, but the rest of the world doesn't seem to be going for the idea that our saying it is so, makes it so.

Well, they don't want to see a war in Iraq, and possibly their desires are being shaped by their desires. Possibly, I'm just being overly suspicious in the absence of hard evidence.

I do think Iraq has such weapons, both in fact and in development, and should be deprived of both the weapons and the means to produce them in the immediate future. As I've said before, though, I don't believe it is the job of the United States and Britain to carry the rest of the world's freight in the absence of support and in the face of its criticism.

Edit - delete material copied into response block.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:28 pm
We have several American flags out today, in my small town to mark Pearl Harbor Day.

Smile
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:42 pm
Would you believe that my Far Side calendar doesn't even mention that it's Pearl Harbor Day on it? I knew it was, but I thought it a little strange that it wasn't mentioned.

Speaking of Saddam...Did you see on the news a little while ago that he'd apologized to the people of Kuwait for the occupation of their country in '90-'91? Of course, along with that apology he asked for their support...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:43 pm
I always remember 12/7 is Pearl Harbor Day.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:45 pm
You recall that 12/8 is the Immaculate Conception day for Catholics.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:49 pm
Didn't know about the Immaculate Conception Day, but then I'm not Catholic and, well...

Did know about Pearl Harbor Day, though, and just thought it weird that it wasn't mentioned on the calendar.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:55 pm
Matrix500- It probably is not on a calendar 'cause it's NOT a holiday!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:04 pm
That's true, Phoenix, but it is an important date to remember. And, there are a lot of other "special dates" that are mentioned on the calendar that aren't holidays either.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:10 pm
Matrix500- You are right. We should never forget Pearl Harbor, nor 9/11.
Even though enemies may come and go, and change with the generations, we need to have these reminders, so that people will learn and understand the impact of the horrible things that we do to one another. Hopefully, it will help future generations to use those lessons to create a more tolerant, peaceful society!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 05:16 pm
Phoenix...EXACTLY! Holidays and big shopping sale days they are NOT, but they are very important dates that should always be remembered.
0 Replies