Use Of Colon & Semicolon?

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 07:19 am
What are the rules for using colons and semicolons? (Wonder if I spelled those right?) Hope this isn't too big a can of worms... Sad Very Happy

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 07:55 am
This has been done before. Too late for me to search now, but there are sites that explain it pretty well. Try a search on google.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:02 am
Quote:
SEMICOLONS

1. Use a semicolon (Wink to join two independent clauses that are closely related.

I grew up wanting to become a Marine Corps Officer; I wanted to become the best.

2. Use a semicolon to join two independent clauses when the second clause begins with a conjunctive adverb. Place a semicolon before the conjunctive adverb and a comma after it. Conjunctive adverbs include: therefore, however, nevertheless, consequently, in fact, moreover, in addition.

I felt I had to continue the Marine tradition; therefore, I enrolled at The Citadel.

3. Use a semicolon to separate a series with internal punctuation.

During the holidays, I love to send out greeting cards; shop for my brothers, sisters, and cousins; and eat out frequently at restaurants.

Quote:
COLONS

1. Use a colon (Smile to introduce a list that comes at the end of a sentence.

I looked at my brother anew over the holidays. I noticed several things: his compassion, his sense of humor, and his outgoing personality.

2. Use a colon to introduce one or more sentences quoted from speech or writing.

In the opening of his novel Scaramouche, Raphael Sabatini describes his hero: "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."

Use a colon to introduce a long example or explanation related to something just mentioned.

The animals have a good many of our practical skills: some insects make pretty fair architects, and beavers know a great deal about engineering.
http://citadel.edu/wlcenter/punct.html
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:57 am
Phoenix, Excellent links. Just one minor quibble. A full sentence that follows a colon gets a capital letter. "...skills: Some insects make ..."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:20 pm
Roberta wrote:
Phoenix, Excellent links. Just one minor quibble. A full sentence that follows a colon gets a capital letter. "...skills: Some insects make ..."

Since when?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 04:22 pm
Ooooops. My mistake. I got too carried away with house style. If only one sentence follows the colon, the first word doesn't have to be capitalized. However, if two or more sentences follow a colon, the first word of each sentence should be capitalized. Other instances when the copy following a colon should be cap: a quote, a pronouncement, something formal, when there's only one word preceding the colon and a full sentence follows.

I'm so embarrassed. Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 04:53 pm
OK, that's more like it :wink:
0 Replies

Not Waving

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:02 pm
Use of a colon should be carried out in the toilet whereas a semi-colon is generally used in conjunction with a colostomy bag.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:57 pm
Just happened upon (totally,out of the blue) this thread.

Makes me think of something......most trivial.

For some reason, I have never in my entire life (I am not at all young) ever used a semicolon!

Ever!

I have always hidden behind the very incorrect use of the "ellipsis".

I will always (lamely) use the ellipsis: and even worse.....(there I go,again)....the ever, dreaded........(parenthesis)!

I have always believed that the number of people, on the face of the earth, who actually know when to use a semicolon.....you could put them all in a very small football stadium.

On the other hand.........

.....hiding behind the (juvenile) use of the "ellipsis"......and then the (parenthesis).....could always get you into the......... "party" .

At least I let myself (sadly) think this way.

This is total trivia..........Sorry!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 09:27 am
KYN, you have a fellow "parentheses coward". More than fifty years ago, a scholastic testing company was using our school to test their product. I took a grammar test of approximately 500 questions. I surprised myself by missing only one question and I've never shaken it from my mind. "Johnny ran away (you know how he does) and hid in the barn". They wanted dashes.
0 Replies