Has Hillary's Time Come?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:23 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Same authors as the other piece.

Reading the links JfC provided gives some useful context.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 04:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
BTW: When Truman did not run for reelection, Adlai Stevenson ran. Eisenhower (Republican) won.

When Johnson choose not to run for reelection, George McGovern ran. Who won that election? Richard M. Nixon of course, (Republican).

Proof that this would be disastrous for the Democratic Party.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 05:15 pm

No. She is too far to the left.

David
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 07:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
She's more centrist then Obama is.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 07:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not so sure. Neither Hillary nor Obama are particularly 'leftist' except in the eyes of such extreme rightists as OmSig or GungaSnake or Finn d'Abuzz. In my own mind, they are both just a silly milimeter to the right of center. But their political outlooks are essentially so similar as to make no never-mind, as my Texas-born wife would say.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 07:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I agree with you except that I think Hillary is right of Obama.
Which could be charming for some.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
And I think I agree with you, Osso.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If Obama is right of center, what Democrats are left of center or left wing?

Everyone of the Republican candidates are conservatives, but I suspect you believe them all to be extremists.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Lots of us.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Everyone of the Republican candidates are conservatives, but I suspect you believe them all to be extremists.

No, not all of them. Romney is certainly right of center, but not very extreme. Neither is Cain. The others are mostly such hilarious clowns that it's hard to take 'em seriously enough to determine just where they stand in the spectrum. Perry isn't a conservative; he's a crackpot. Gingrich -- the less said the better.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:03 pm
I think the definition of center has taken a swing towards the right. Honest centrists are now considered liberals even though true liberals think they're sell outs.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:05 pm
@JPB,
yeah.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think the U.S. has had a left of centre presidential candidate in a couple of decades. The whole country has been sliding right for years.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Depends entirely on what you use as the basis for your definition of "center". The historical center in post war European politics is well to the left of the typical "center" for the USA during the same period. Using our history over the past four or five decades as a reference Obama is well left of center - even though he might count as center or right of center in other places. Despite these fairly persistent trends, variations occur almost everywhere. Canada has experiences some fairly broad swings left and right during the same period, as have the UK and the USA.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:54 pm
@ossobuco,
But you're not Democrat politician, are you?

I've no doubt there are plenty of A2Kers who are to the left of Obama, but I'm trying to to determine Lustigs spectrum.

Right now it's confusing.

Obama is slight right of center and Romney and Cain are merely right of center. I'm wondering now if he knows anything about the positions of Mitt and Herman.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Some of my best friends...

Well, no, I won't claim them as my best friends, but I've had friends who are or were democratic politicians. I am not them, but we understood each other. You might be surprised that california is a place of neighbors.

Andy will speak for himself, natch.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Why would I be surprised that California is a neighborly place?

You have some interesting notions about conservatives , or is it just me?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
My favorite recent President was the Governor of California.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
She's more centrist then Obama is.
Agreed; still too far left.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I'm not so sure. Neither Hillary nor Obama are particularly 'leftist' except in the eyes of such extreme rightists as OmSig or GungaSnake or Finn d'Abuzz. In my own mind, they are both just a silly milimeter to the right of center. . . .
Will u be good enuf to identify the CENTER??

David