Reparations

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:08 am
I was wondering when you were gonna tune up on this guy c. i.
His point has been as an advocate of a "self-apparent" entitlement. Dream on, I like that when used properly.

Noah is a one trick pony/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:11 am
BTW, do you think Iraqis were mistreated/injured by Saddam? After all, Kurds, Sunnis and Shia are all social constructs. When and how are they going to get their "reparations?" Your argument that the US is a "democracy" doesn't fly. You can't argue it's ideals while knowing it's only a social construct with many faults. You know, humans still go to war and kill each other - even in "democracies" such as Ireland.
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:27 am
Like I said...

Your questions were for naught. It didn't matter if I named the smallest group of Blacks. As long as I attached the term reparations with them you would scream bloody murder like you are now. You're another phony!

"I got one question..."

Well, you could have saved your breath and mine if all you were going to say is:

Crying or Very sad "You ain't gonna get it" Crying or Very sad

Wow!! Very convincing! I'll think I'll give up now... Thanks! Rolling Eyes

(I guess you think I'm supposed to be discouraged by what you're saying. You must have contracted the Craven Disease... because you think what you say is of some consequence to me....
Back awayyyyyyy!!! From the Vodka!! Sober up and realize I'm not fazed!)

Farmerman! You're alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprised
You got to talking about taxes... then you disappeared all of a sudden...
You want to control your taxes.... fine! I do too!

Thanks Bro! Razz
I knew would agree on something!
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:45 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, do you think Iraqis were mistreated/injured by Saddam? After all, Kurds, Sunnis and Shia are all social constructs. When and how are they going to get their "reparations?" Your argument that the US is a "democracy" doesn't fly. You can't argue it's ideals while knowing it's only a social construct with many faults. You know, humans still go to war and kill each other - even in "democracies" such as Ireland.

Okay????

What's your point??? Shocked

Anything else you'd like to say? Anything else you want to get off your chest? Confused

I'll give you some credit. At least you got something original going for you. To basically say that the U.S. is not democratic enough and has not advanced enough as a human society - i.e. in the area of human development - to be able to handle such an issue forthrightly (which it has been passing the buck for generations) is a pretty bold statement on how much you believe in democracy and the American ideals...

Idea Very revealing....
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:05 am
Noah has a selective historical memory. There was an attempt at reparations during the reconstruction era (c.1866-1877). The 40 acres and a mule program which was designed to break up and distribute large southern land holding to former slaves. It did not work very well for a number of reason and ended up creating a class of small land holders that some anthropologist have described as living in a semi feudal condition similar to medieval european peasantry. There are two points here reparations were tried, in the context of what at the time was thought to be an appropriate manner, and secondly, reparations have proved historically to be a poor way of solving a problem. What Noah is proposing is another ripoff of the federal treasury in which case he will have to stand in line behind Bectel and the other big boy's who have much more experience and a great deal more subtlety.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:11 am
noah, I dropped out when this got to be a silverback chest thumping between you and craven.
you see the issue as an entitlement, many of us do not.
the metrics that ci has suggested, youve just dismissed and immediately tried to be rude to his suggestions . his comments are a core issue that by your dismissal, demonstrates that your mind is closed on the subject. well so is mine.
Craven had an idea that this shouldnt become a validation thead, well, even with more cooperative guests, thats a hard direction to maintain, and it takes a strong facilitator . otherwise it degrades into what we see here.
Nothing profound has been said with a few notable exceptions , one of those who Ive personally felt was an exception was ci and Frank. Ive noted that , when you get cubby holed you go for the ad hominem attack. Poor debating skills 9of course thats an ad hominem also, but Ive never been taking part seriously in responding to your diatribes)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:14 am
Acq, not only subtlety, but a hell of a lot more clout.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:20 am
ah yes Tunis Campbell
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:46 am
Quote:
Noah has a selective historical memory. There was an attempt at reparations during the reconstruction era (c.1866-1877). The 40 acres and a mule program which was designed to break up and distribute large southern land holding to former slaves.

HUH???

What makes you think I'm unaware or that I'm selectively forgetting that?
Was it something that was sustained?.
Quote:
There are two points here reparations were tried, in the context of what at the time was thought to be an appropriate manner, and secondly, reparations have proved historically to be a poor way of solving a problem.

Now your selective interpretation and recollection comes in...

<> reparations were tried
Misleading statement.

Special Field Order No. 15 was the so-called 40 acres and a Mule - aka Reparations - you claimed was "tried". Beyond that Thaddeus Stevens proposed it but it didn't go anywhere. So if that constitutes a "try" as in an actual, earnest effort then.... yes I'm selectively viewing history and you got it all right! Rolling Eyes

Sad (I wonder what good lying does to your position.)

<> reparations have proved historically to be a poor way of solving a problem.

Your historical examples???

"Solving a problem?"
What problem do you think reparations purports to solve?

It might help if you didn't approach this with false and ill-fated pretenses.
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:48 am
Quote:
What Noah is proposing is another ripoff of the federal treasury

I doubt very seriously you have read or understood anything about what "I'm proposing"...

Just your regular Knee-Jerker wanting to weigh-in...
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 12:03 pm
farmerman wrote:
noah, I dropped out when this got to be a silverback chest thumping between you and craven.
you see the issue as an entitlement, many of us do not.
the metrics that ci has suggested, youve just dismissed and immediately tried to be rude to his suggestions . his comments are a core issue that by your dismissal, demonstrates that your mind is closed on the subject. well so is mine.
Craven had an idea that this shouldnt become a validation thead, well, even with more cooperative guests, thats a hard direction to maintain, and it takes a strong facilitator . otherwise it degrades into what we see here.
Nothing profound has been said with a few notable exceptions , one of those who Ive personally felt was an exception was ci and Frank. Ive noted that , when you get cubby holed you go for the ad hominem attack. Poor debating skills 9of course thats an ad hominem also, but Ive never been taking part seriously in responding to your diatribes)

Back to the tax issue...

Comment on that. If you're concerned about your taxes being used in a fashion you don't desire, then quite naturally you can identify, if you are not being purely partisan, to what I see as a no-brainer case for reparations.

Blacks that lived through and paid taxes under segregation should unquestionably be granted reparations. They were not only taxed for something they didn't favor but also "punished" by the societal order.

..... The Frank comment is too funny!!! .... Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:43 pm
Noah's Hard Left Hook! wrote:
First, IMO, any such targeted program should be aimed at African Americans gaining the means by which to be self-sufficient. IMO, beyond resources that requires a permanent apparatus or mechanism that ensures that self-sufficiency and fosters it.

... then a community based perspective is one that must be considered. By community I actually mean the infrastructure and all the institutions that make up the cities and town that we live in.

A good, thriving, functioning community free of wide scale vice is the necessary backdrop to large scale people and community wide improvement.

Instead of just No Child Left Behind there should be No [Inner]-City Left Behind. There's a whole line of study about how the creation of the suburbs reflect racist government sanctioned policies to the detriment of largely black innercities, etc.

In terms of IMPLEMENTATION... simply put:
WHERE THERE IS A WILL. THERE IS A WAY!

As far as dollar amounts well, I just heard someone forward an idea of about $87 Billion for what they called a Thurgood Marshall Plan earmarked for the 50 neediest cities.

Noah beneath all the name calling, stereotyping, and general ranting, the above is the sum total of your proposed reparations, which in another post you propose to fund with a combination of payments from the government and corporations. This is little more than a vaguely formulated reference to the 60's Great Society reformulated to benefit one group of people on the presumption of an entitlement. You have no program or at least nothing original or of substance. And, if the 60's or reconstruction taught us anything, it was that dumping money or resources onto a problem does little more than create opportunities for scam artists.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
If Noah wanted a good argument, he should speak to the issue of current discriminatory practices. Forget reparations and the historic perspective of injustice. There's all kinds of injustice suffered by the majority on this planet. He may wish and think he can win the argument for reparations, but he doesn't understand American politics. As for current discriminatory practices against black Americans, I can find several without even putting in any effort. But he wants money. What a sad goal to pursue.
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:06 pm
Right below what you quoted...

Quote:
As far as who pays... I have a solution for that too!.... A way where none of those questions about "Why Should I Pay?" would be left unsatisfied. But, again, I have to question whether that is the real issue with people that are against reparations. It's been my experience that for the most part when [my] model that would eliminate that concern is offered that the objections still remain. So, I'm left to believe that it really is more than about something like this proverbially "Taking [My] Money" Again, I have a model that eliminates that but doesn't eliminate the opposition. Matter of fact, it usually becomes even more vehement afterwards.... Imagine that!

That's a specific reference to the following [a response to Frank]:
Quote:
And seriously if as I posed there is a model wherein your tax moneyt isn't concerned then what does it matter what you think about it?
It's no sweat of your brow as they say. Nothing would be coming out your pockets. What else is there to say? And what would be you motivation or reason for saying anything then?
A question posed to Farmerman:
Quote:
If there was a way for there to be reparations without using your taxes...
would you approve of it? Would that satisfy your displeasure with it?

So what is original in a sense (original because I'm sure this is not the assumption you are working under) is that:
I HAVE SAID AND PROPOSE THAT ONLY THOSE WHO APPROVE OF REPARATIONS BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM.

Acq, I could care less what you think about the Great Society, etc., etc. All that is purely your opinion. This is about reparations and you posed some idea that "reparations have proved historically to be a poor way of solving a problem" yet, apparently, have no historical reparations case upon which you base your contention.

Great Society this and that has very little to do with Reparations and, in fact, is not an example of it.
Quote:
...in another post you propose to fund with a combination of payments from the government and corporations.

You obviously have a scholarly problem of not attributing to their appropriate source. Technically, that's not what I "proposed". That came from a documented reference to N'COBRA, a reparations organizations platform. Nevertheless, I fail to see what your problem is with it but I have in fact identified your fundamental problem.

Before going into that let me clearly restate WHAT I PROPOSE:
REPARATIONS TO BE FUNDED BY THE TAXES OF THOSE WHO APPROVE OR FAVOR REPARATIONS.

Now, your problem is that very same question you tried to avoid in order to further your rant:
Quote:

Your historical examples??? ____ OBVIOUSLY LACKING ____

"Solving a problem?"

Right there in red. Your problem is this idea that reparations is about anything other than reparations itself. In what type of court case where restitution is granted is there some "problem" solved other than compensating the victims for their loss?

Again, what "problem", as you see it, is reparations suppose to "solve" and has ever purported to?

Seems that you have some ridiculous idea in mind or some presumption that you have yet to disclose. In any event, I'm waiting for you to support your assertions and not try to pawn off some subjective, politically motivated and personally skewed idea of what you think reparations is about. Scam artist and other contrived notions of yours aside... answer those questions forthrightly - i.e. without your slanted interpretation of history and reality.

Quote:
You have no program or at least nothing original or of substance. And, if the 60's or reconstruction taught us anything, it was that dumping money or resources onto a problem does little more than create opportunities for scam artists.

Who's "dumping money" at a "problem", Aqc?
If you intently read what I have said and what I have highlighted here then as far as you are concern.... YOU ARE NOT IN THE *US* (that would count doubly: Not in the "us" who has this so-called "problem" and by what I propose, not in the "us" who would be "dumping the money").

Now, that's me addressing exactly what you have said and not making assumptions in the manner that you have. I ask you again to prove and forthrightly support your assertions - i.e. answer the questions I raised.

I will note that you apparently want to question the motivation of those who seek reparations. In like manner, given what I have said which I'm sure will not change your opinion about what I have "proposed" (as in what you have claimed I have "proposed" while specifically pointing out something that I made sure you and anyone else knew did not originate from me) I can't help but to feel and know that your motivations aren't pure. You have a hidden agenda... otherwise it wouldn't be so hard for you to answer some simple questions in a direct manner.

I'll ask them again:
Quote:

Your historical examples???
[Hint: Great Society doesn't count. It was not a historical form of Reparations.... I don't think we have to define the word or take this any further.]

"Solving a problem?"
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
If Noah wanted a good argument, he should speak to the issue of current discriminatory practices.

From my very exchange with you:
Reparations is not just for slavery but includes Jim Crow segregation and even on-going racism (as noted above).
I guess that doesn't account for enough "speak[ing] to the issue of current discriminatory practices" in your book.

What you should "speak to" is the truth of your opposition to reparations and stop coming up with excuses.
Quote:
Forget reparations and the historic perspective of injustice. There's all kinds of injustice suffered by the majority on this planet.

Well, going by your logic, if I was to "forget" the past... then even current discriminatory practices would not be a basis for redress. Since, "there's all kinds of injustice suffered by the majority on this planet" that means that I [we] just have to deal with it. It's a fact of life, right?

Since most people or rather a majority of the people on the planet have to deal with it, why shouldn't I, right? Next you will be telling me that if a majority of the people on the planet decides to resort to cannibalism that I should too. You know you always gotta be in the "in crowd"... And, yes, by all means do what's popular... just because... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
He may wish and think he can win the argument for reparations, but he doesn't understand American politics.

What don't I understand about American politics?

Is this another one of your references to how undemocratic America is and how America can only be so democratic or one of your pessimistic philosophies about "if it hasn't been done yet, it won't" ?

Quote:
As for current discriminatory practices against black Americans, I can find several without even putting in any effort.

I can too but... you know what, most opponents of reparations don't feel current discriminatory practices are worthy of reparations. And, again, in your haste you must have missed or purposely ignored what I did say. This is however just an excuse of yours.

What historical reparations case forgot/dismissed historic injustices?
That conflicts with the very definition and understanding of the reparations. It is, in fact, the history of "wrongs" or "injuires" that are the basis of reparations. Perhaps you should speak to a more appropriate redress term.

I find it rather funny though that you want to feign like current discriminatory practices are the appropriate area to focus on when you apparently oppose Affirmative Action or rather specific measures to address current discriminatory practices. You made the following post on the AA thread which I participated on as well. I guess stating my support for AA was in no way "speaking to current discriminatory practices". And if we all can point out current discrimination, really, what the use in running down a list of the obvious?

Again, this can be nothing but an excuse for you since you posted:
Quote:
Centroles' quote, "I think affirmative action should be based on socioeconomic class." I totally agree.

Now, considering that Affirmative Action as currently constructed is about addressing and framed within the context of addressing racial discrimination against Blacks - the very same context of reparations - then it's clear that you have a problem with the idea of dealing with even current discriminatory practices given your position on Affirmative Action.
Quote:
But he wants money. What a sad goal to pursue.

I've already dealt with this with Craven. Since you are so well aquainted with my motivation, why don't you tell me what yours is?

It's clear you have minimal if any concern for current discriminatory practices of which you seem to want me to "speak to" given your opposition to Affirmative Action. You can clarify and inform me of what your full position is perhaps you were only talking about AA as it relates to college admission. Perhaps you have your are in favor of AA in employment... I dunno. I haven't seen you qualify what you are talking about.

Don't forget to disclose your motivation for saying everything you have... That would be appreciated. It's sad that you seem to be trying to find excuses by making a bunch of unsupported and untenable claims about me and my position. Again:
  • What don't I understand about American politics? ; and....

• How is my support of Affirmative Action (which I do support... and can acknowledge as imperfect but that would forward my position on Reparations more than on abolish or changing it...) not evidence of me "speaking to" current discriminatory practices and showing a desire to address them?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:38 pm
It's a waste of time. I quit; you win!
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's a waste of time. I quit; you win!

I win what? Sad

I thought we were having a conversation? Confused
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:32 pm
I don't enjoy banging my head against a brick wall; nothing gained.
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I don't enjoy banging my head against a brick wall; nothing gained.

Seems you have a lot of false pretense and ridiculous presumptions...

This is a msg board. People state their position... and that's about it.
You seem to think someone is suppose to change their position due to a conversation.

Well, if I ask you simple questions like I did, and you for whatever reason can't answer them then you can hardly believe that you can really influence someone to change their position. You are not willing to provide enough information, let alone a compelling case.

Like I said, people state their position... You have stated yours.
What else do you really expect?

Have you changed your position during any, some, or most exchanges you have on msg boards? Or do you think you're always right? And what do you think the purpose of a msg board is?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:58 pm
Also common on message boards is the realization that a certain discussion with certain persons is not worth pursuing.

It happens. <shrugs>
0 Replies