mobile = a moving object such as a car?

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 06:17 am

Context:

Systems theory provides a root metaphor for thinking about family interactions as well as language for talking about ongoing changing family interactions with other human systems [7]. In the case of a family member’s cancer diagnosis, systems theory is particularly apt and useful. Family therapist Virginia Satir [8] used the image of a mobile to describe a family system because as circumstances impact one or more members of the family, the other members reverberate in response to the change in the affected members. When individuals form families they also create family
systems through their interaction patterns. Such human systems reflect characteristics of interdependence, patterns, interactive complexity, mutual influence, equifinality,1 and openness [9]. Human systems depend on interchange with the larger ecosystem in order to survive and thrive; these systems function within larger social systems such as friendship, religious, educational, and health networks. As developmental changes and unpredictable stresses occur, the family system mobile moves as members work through the issues, often creating a slightly different
mobile configuration as a result. Most changes send the mobile into limited
motion from which recovery is reasonably swift and sure; based on discussion, careful decision making, and negotiations, family members assimilate the new information or situation and find a new sense of balance. On occasion, a family encounters an unpredictable stress that sends the mobile spinning out of control; the gravity, complexity, and uncertainty of the situation shatters the possibility of relying on previous knowledge or coping patterns. The announcement that a child has life-threatening cancer sends the family mobile into chaotic movement. In minutes,
the family’s world as they know it has changed forever. A further statement that the
child may face fertility issues as a result of treatment only deepens the vortex in
which members find themselves. No option for gradual assimilation exists.
The family system must interact continually with other systems, including those
of medical personnel within health care institutions, as well as the family’s
established support systems. As the family system faces upheaval and stress, the
parental figures, and potentially the patient, confront making multiple decisions
regarding unfamiliar issues that are difficult to discuss. As medical personnel
describe an array of concerns, procedures, and options, the family is drawn into a
web of communication involving medical, psychological, and ethical issues that is
challenging emotionally and intellectually. Family decision making is frequently
described as a phased problem solving loop beginning with phase 1 (identifying the
problem, formulating a goal, and assessing resources), phase 2 (generating and
assessing alternatives), phase 3 (selecting the best option) and phase 4 (accepting
a decision, putting it into effect, and evaluating the outcome) [10]. Such a model
assumes decisions are made over a period of time and conclusions may be reached
before the family assimilates the change and moves on. This is not the pattern if the
1 Equifinality is a concept central to family systems theory. It supposes that there is more than one
route or option that can lead to the same final outcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,068 • Replies: 15
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:55 am
Quote:
An analogy I like to use when I’m working with a family is that of a mobile (borrowed in part from Virginia Satir). Let us day that you have a mobile with five or six beautiful butterflies, all of different sizes, suspended by strings from three sticks. The butterflies can represent the family members, and the string and sticks the family rules. The whole thing has been very carefully designed to keep its equilibrium. If a puff of wind hits it, it responds immediately by rocking and twisting wildly, but then slowly it brings itself back into quiet balance. This is the beauty of a mobile, ever moving yet ever returning to equilibrium. Similarly, when the winds of life put pressure on any part of the family, the first response is usually severe distress. Then the whole family system gradually regains its stability, held together by its accustomed rules and patterns of responding.

A mobile is a hanging decoration which responds to movement of air.

Can you see the picture?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UOC3TT81i8k/RaSn5f5e7aI/AAAAAAAADKk/Zw-hmA6_Bzk/s400/ten+thous+tropical+butterfly+mobile.bmp

oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:39 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Quote:
An analogy I like to use when I’m working with a family is that of a mobile (borrowed in part from Virginia Satir). Let us day that you have a mobile with five or six beautiful butterflies, all of different sizes, suspended by strings from three sticks. The butterflies can represent the family members, and the string and sticks the family rules. The whole thing has been very carefully designed to keep its equilibrium. If a puff of wind hits it, it responds immediately by rocking and twisting wildly, but then slowly it brings itself back into quiet balance. This is the beauty of a mobile, ever moving yet ever returning to equilibrium. Similarly, when the winds of life put pressure on any part of the family, the first response is usually severe distress. Then the whole family system gradually regains its stability, held together by its accustomed rules and patterns of responding.

A mobile is a hanging decoration which responds to movement of air.

Can you see the picture?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UOC3TT81i8k/RaSn5f5e7aI/AAAAAAAADKk/Zw-hmA6_Bzk/s400/ten+thous+tropical+butterfly+mobile.bmp

Thank you Contrex.

I used wall-climbing ware so I could see the picture!

It's so unique and pretty. It is really beyong my imagination that the "mobile" would mean this.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:08 am
@oristarA,
Are you able to access Google images?

If so, google "crib mobiles".

There are literally millions of variations of mobiles.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:27 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Cool!

Contrex said he partially borrowed the concept of the "mobile" in that context. I'm not sure whether the decoration in the picture is identical to the "mobile."
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:30 am
@oristarA,
The pictue Contrex is an example of a mobile.

Each one will be slightly different. What they have in common is that there are lightweight items suspended by string from sticks. The sticks are connected to each other and again suspended from something higher. What is important is that the mobiles move in reaction to wind/air gusts/movement in the air.

Are you familiar with marionettes?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:32 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Well, is this "crib mobile" the "mobile" in the context of the thread?
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:27 am
There are "crib mobiles", particularly in the USA because many parents suspend them over their baby's bed ("crib") in order to amuse and visually stimulate the child, but in fact the bare term "mobile" is the generic name for that kind of thing. They are seen in houses with or without children. The mobile referred to in the text quoted in the original post is an imaginary one; you are invited to contemplate certain properties which mobiles possess and thus understand certain properties and modes of operation possessed by families.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:29 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Well, is this "crib mobile" the "mobile" in the context of the thread?

there is no "the" mobile. It is an analogy/ concept/ conceit used by the writer.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:30 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Contrex said he partially borrowed the concept of the "mobile" in that context. I'm not sure whether the decoration in the picture is identical to the "mobile."

I borrowed nothing; didn't you see the "quote" box? The illustration is not identical to the imaginary mobile mentioned in the quote. No real mobile could be.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:51 am
@contrex,
Interesting. My experience of mobiles was that they were common in Europe long before they came to North America.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 12:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Interesting. My experience of mobiles was that they were common in Europe long before they came to North America.

Well I seem to remember them becoming trendy in Britain in the early 1970s among hippie types, along with their cousins, wind chimes. The origin of the mobile as discussed in this thread appears to be the 1920s onwards "kinetic scuptures" of the (American, living in Paris) artist Alexander Calder. The term "mobile" was coined by his friend and collaborator Marcel Duchamp.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 12:52 pm
@contrex,
That would tie in with my recollection of Babar mobiles in the early 1960's.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 01:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

That would tie in with my recollection of Babar mobiles in the early 1960's.

Babar, le roi des éléphants?
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 06:44 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

I borrowed nothing; didn't you see the "quote" box? The illustration is not identical to the imaginary mobile mentioned in the quote. No real mobile could be.

Good. I see.

Thank you both.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:02 pm
@contrex,
yes
0 Replies