White Coke Cans

djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:47 pm
@maxdancona,
i doubt it would bother me, i saw a display of the white cans on the weekend, at first i thought, what's this, then i read the can and realized it was plain old coke, no big deal
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 07:46 pm
@djjd62,
I imagined that coke is setting up for some new can graphics that use temperature differentials to materialize. Ill betcha. So a white ground is necessary
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 04:19 am
@maxdancona,
You'd fill your pants in Canada. They "violate" such color standards all the time. The Girl brought some nice Columbian coffee home one day, and i was all bent out of shape because it was decaf. Luckily, i hadn't said anything, and the fact that it was in a green can meant nothing here. In the States, a green coffee can automatically means decaf--here, it means the company likes the color. The Canajuns have similarly irreverant attitudes toward other products.
Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 11:15 am
@Setanta,
We all know yellow means cheap though.
djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 11:18 am
@Ceili,
the original no name products i remember (in the mid 70's) had white labels with black printing, no pictures

Valdi's grocery store in Windsor, a discount grocer stocked white label canned goods
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 11:23 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CM6f0HAjdEc/Tq-6wgTOXoI/AAAAAAAAAWg/WpL3DJN8C90/s1600/white-coke.top.jpg

Tell me this doesn't make you think diet.

this doesn't make me think diet.

I think Set's identified the problem for you in this thread. A disproportionate number of your responses are from Canajuns. We don't have the same packaging colour conventions you do. We read the label to figure out what we're buying - that can doesn't say diet, so it doesn't make me think diet.

As ceili and djjd's posts just above mine point out, we've even changed the convention on what colour packaging the no-name brands have. We're crazy like that.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 11:55 am
@maxdancona,
It doesn't make me think Diet coke (which does not have the same logo, it has one with a big "COKE"), it makes me think of Coca Cola's long-standing tradition of polar imagery around Christmas time and their affinity for seasonal can design.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 11:57 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
How would you feel if Coke Black were put in red cans?

Eerily similar to how I'd have felt the moment immediately prior to the discovery. ;-)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 12:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

It doesn't make me think Diet coke (which does not have the same logo, it has one with a big "COKE"), it makes me think of Coca Cola's long-standing tradition of polar imagery around Christmas time and their affinity for seasonal can design.

Yeah, it goes along with their Christmas time commercials.

This one dates back to 2006
Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 01:07 pm
@JPB,
from a collectibles site...

"Since the Coca-Cola Polar Bear was introduced in 1993, it has become a huge part of The Coca-Cola Company and a figure known the world over."
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:18 pm
I AM A MAN OF GOD. YOU ARE A TROLL. Why are you posting videos of diet coke. I DO NOT DRINK DIET COKE.
djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:50 pm
@maxdancona,
i see what you did there Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 02:31 pm
Oh . . . i'd forgotten this silly thread . . . think i'll go drink another white can of coke . . .
0 Replies

jay5515

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:38 am
@maxdancona,
You must have the IQ of a sand flea. Color does not dictate the product. By the way.....Diet Coke cans are silver. Diet coke has not been in a white can in over 20 years.
Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 09:48 am
@jay5515,
Why you old charm school drop-out, you. Welcome to the site, and try to lighten just a smidge, OK? You wouldn't want to end up like me.
0 Replies

engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 07:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Congrats Max, you win! Coke is pulling the cans because customers say white can coke tastes different or they thought it was diet.
0 Replies