I like to get up early, check my

Mame

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:27 am
email, pop in here, visit another board, do crosswords and cryptograms, and drink two cups of coffee and have a bowl of cereal before work. I love the early morning - it's so quiet and peaceful, with the hum of the fridge and the sound of the furnace kicking in. I'm usually up at 4:30 a.m. I feel totally alone in the world - it's wonderful. After an hour or so, I'll turn on the radio and get tuned in. Then I'm ready to start the work day.

My husband sleeps until the last possible moment. He's a great sleeper. I thought only babies and cats slept that much. He wouldn't get up till 11:00 if he didn't have to. Amazing. He always wants me to come back to bed but once I'm up, I'm up.

What about you? Are you a morning person or a sleeper?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 5,232 • Replies: 45
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:36 am
@Mame,
I wish I could sleep in a bit. I wake up too early and can never go back to sleep. Today I woke up at 3:30, the other day it was not quite 3:00.

I'd love just one more hour of sleep each night but I'm simply unable to do it.

I do like the peace and quiet of the morning though. I'm prevented from doing anything productive since others are sleeping so it's a guilty pleasure in a way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:45 am
@Mame,
I'm definitely a sleeper. I like the quiet peaceful alone time but have typically gotten that very late at night rather than early in the morning. Right now I don't really get it at all -- E.G. wakes up first, I wake up at the same time or he wakes me up about 15 minutes before sozlet has to wake up for school.

I seem to need about 8.5 hours of sleep to function really well. Under 8 and I'm not all there. Over 9 and a little grogginess seems to stick with me all day.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:52 am
I like the early morning for the quiet, "alone" time. I don't have much choice about it, though. If i sleep in past 5:00 a.m., the little dogs will begin to complain . . . loudly. They are early risers, and having gone outside to pee and poop, and having gotten their morning charcoal biscuits, they go right back to sleep.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:11 am
@sozobe,
Ohhh, sorry for you that you need that exact amount of time to sleep! That's quite restricting.

Boomer - maybe it's your age? I have been like this (early rising) since starting menopause... I don't know how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying it. I get a lot of projects done this time of day. And I fade around 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. so I can't do anything intelligent in the afternoons Smile

Set - I suspected you were an early bird. I can't go back to sleep once I'm up either. By the way, how often and how long do you walk your dogs per day?
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:16 am
@Mame,
The little dogs get walked at least once a day for about an hour. Often, they get walked twice, and some times three times a day. Later walks are not as long. I took them out a second time last night, and that was for only about 30 minutes.
Mame

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:27 am
@Setanta,
how do they like the winters - the snow and ice? That's a lot of walking!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:43 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I seem to need about 8.5 hours of sleep to function really well. Under 8 and I'm not all there. Over 9 and a little grogginess seems to stick with me all day.

We should start calling you Goldilocks or better yet ... GoldiSoz.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:50 am
@Mame,
They love it. They suffer in the summer. The little girl dog loves to roll around in the snow.
Mame

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:23 am
@Setanta,
Dogs are weird!
jespah

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:30 am
@Mame,
I'm a serious morning person. RP isn't, but we do both get up with the alarm, after shmacking it a coupla times. This means we're both up at around 5:15 AM or so. It's quiet.

It also tends to be a good time for me to do site-specific work, for A2K and other projects. Then it's off to the mine. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:39 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Ohhh, sorry for you that you need that exact amount of time to sleep! That's quite restricting.

Well, it's about an hour window (I do best on 8 to 9 hours of sleep, but that means 8.5 is fine, 8.25 is fine, 8.75 is fine, etc.), and I'm OK if I get more or less, just definitely off-peak.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:14 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Boomer - maybe it's your age? I have been like this (early rising) since starting menopause... I don't know how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying it. I get a lot of projects done this time of day. And I fade around 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. so I can't do anything intelligent in the afternoons

I think you're right.

My problem is that Mo gets home at about the same time I start fading. My day heats up when I'm at my worst. It's not good for any of us.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:30 am
I deliberately get up an hour before the kids.
I set my coffee machine to start coffee 30 minutes before my alarm goes off so that it is completely brewed and ready.
I have my coffee while browsing the net in my robe.
Silence, just coffee and me..i love it Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:37 am
I am a night owl who loves to sleep in, but who has often had jobs that require an early alarm clock (4:30ish)...which sucks. When I can I sleep in till 9 and then read in bed or go online in bed. If I gather the will I make coffee, if my wife has not tried to make it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:40 am
I get up at 5:30 a.m., make myself instant coffee, put breakfast things on the table for all three of us, go back upstairs at 6:00a.m. to wake up my wife and daughter.

The first thing I check is my local paper to see if my name is in the obituaries (old joke).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:15 am
When I get up early, I check my... :

Pulse. If my heart is beating, I smile and take the dog out and start the coffee
If it's not beating, I swear alot and look around for the eternal flames 'cause coffee
beans aren't the only thing that is getting roasted.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:21 am
I love the quiet of the middle of the night and early morning. I'm still up then. I usually go to sleep when most people are getting up for work. I wake up in the afternoon.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:26 am
@Mame,
I wake up most days around 3:30 to 4 a.m. If I wake up past 6 I feel the day has been lost, or close to it and must struggle to get back on track. It's quiet, peaceful, I can feel the stillness and relax.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:30 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I wake up most days around 3:30 to 4 a.m. If I wake up past 6 I feel the day has been lost, or close to it and must struggle to get back on track. It's quiet, peaceful, I can feel the stillness and relax.
Getting up that early by choice is ******* nuts....you know that, right?