In Praise of A2k, best website on the 'net

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:05 pm
@roger,
Roger, I'm making a blind stab that he's in fact Jesus Christ hence the JC moniker.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:10 pm
Come on, let's face it guys. The only reason this website is cool is because I'm here. LOL!! Laughing

No I'm totally kidding. Razz

I think it's awesome here, even though some people (a very small amount) can be really mean or annoying. I like it because there's alot of really really nice really really smart people here. And you guys help me out alot with family stuff and school stuff and life stuff and everything. It's a great place to get advice and support and stuff AND you have alot of fun here. There's games and funny people that make me laugh.
Even though there's alot of grown-ups, I feel like I fit right in cause people here treat me like a grown up too even though I'm younger and that doesn't happen alot in real life. I have alot of awesome older friends now because of a2k. And I have friends from all over the world! Haha! It's kinda like a great big family here, with lots of different kinda people. I really like tons of people here and I've never even met them before.

I'm learning tons from being here and I'm having a blast! Even though I get annoyed and fed up sometimes, I don't think I ever wanna leave. A2k's a cool website!

Cheers to Robert and all the a2k folks that make this place the AWESOMEST! Very Happy You guys are great! Love ya! Mr. Green

Adios! I've got homework! Laughing

0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:13 pm
@roger,
I knew he was Jewish after our first date.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:19 pm
@MMarciano,
Does he do a lot of kvetching? It's more then a spectator sport here at a2k.

We need more authentic ringers to participate though Roberta is our forum
World Champion of Kvetching.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:19 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano, always the nurse-educator Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:21 pm
@roger,
I was once almost a redhead, and spewish..

I suppose I should edit that.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
He only figured that out because I was speaking Yiddish after two cocktails.
Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:23 am
@jcboy,
tsar speaks the truth. I am the kvetch queen.

So boychik. Take a gander at this link. You might enjoy it. You might not.
http://able2know.org/topic/10418-1
jcboy

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:30 am
@Roberta,
I'll be checking it out when we return from Miami Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Some of you people - and you know who you are - are the salt of the Earth.

Is it okay if we substitute that for pepper?

All that talk today about salt being bad for you and that. Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:36 pm
@Reyn,
reyn
black pepper is bad for the digestion. Eat your salt and quit complaining.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:46 pm
Could easily be, but I don't know the websites with which they compete.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

reyn
black pepper is bad for the digestion. Eat your salt and quit complaining.

I almost never ever use salt. Some freshly ground sea salt while cooking, maybe, sometimes. But I do like to season my food with freshly-ground pepper.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was somewhat joking. But, I get plenty of salt in the food and water I ingest. So, I don't add any. I also don't ever use ground black pepper. In fact, last time I cooked a meal for my son, he asked me what I season the meat with, since he never saw me do it. I don't ever season it, I told him. Didn't do it when he was a kid, but I guess he never realized.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:31 pm
I don't think I'm salt sensitive but from my reading that isn't easy to test. In any case I don't use a lot of canned goods except my recent downfall, medium hot enchilada sauce that I parcel sparely for my burritos, etc., and canned tomatoes, which I buy by pricing, which flops around. No packaged concoctions. So... when I scratch cook, which is usually, I add something like 2/3 of the recipe amount of salt. (My sodium tests low if anything)

Black pepper causes digestive problems? Count me as an exception. I like black pepper almost as much as I like chile pepper.

Oh, wait, why are we talking about this?

Anyway, it's patently obvious I am attached to a2k. I like the mix of bluster and knowledge and whimsy and wit and all of our stupidities. Besides, I keep learning a lot. Just today I learned about dongdogs. No, dongdongs. No, dugongs. Now that I've got it, that is an endangered creature I'll be looking out for.

To be more serious - I like the information site mode that a2k is built about.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:47 pm
Is black pepper good for you? In truth, there is no simple answer to this question. There have not been enough studies on black pepper to verify if it is overall healthful and beneficial, detrimental, or neither. There are, however, plenty of suggestions as to the benefits (and negatives) associated with black pepper. Here are a few of them:

Possible Benefits of Black Pepper:

· Alleviates hemorrhoids

· Alleviates gas

· Alleviates constipation

· Improves digestion - just think, by grinding or shaking black pepper onto your meal, you may actually be aiding yourself in the digestion of that meal. How? Black pepper stimulates the taste buds, alerting your stomach to increase its hydrochloric acid secretion which aids in digestion.

· Alleviates loss of appetite - again, black pepper wakes up and stimulates your taste buds.

· Promotes sweating

· Promotes urination

· Anti-bacterial effect

· Anti-oxidant effect

· Stimulates the breakdown of fat cells

· Inhaling vapor from black pepper extract may reduce withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking - this theory is still being tested...

· Piperine - an alkaloid found in black pepper - could enhance the bioavailability of some nutritional substances and drugs. It also may have anti-carcinogenic properties and anticonvulsant

Possible Negative Effects of Black Pepper

· According to at least one study, black pepper may cause an increase in parietal secretion (of hydrochloric acid - the acid abovementioned as an aid to digestion) and pepsin secretion and a loss in potassium.

· Also, there is a chance of mucosal mircrobleeding and even gastric bleeding due black pepper (due, at least in part, to the above-stated secretions).

· Piperine may actually be carcinogenic (although some studies show that it is anti-carcinogenic...) and it might even have negative effects on sperm and interfere with reproductive processes.

All in all, it seems that more likely than not, black pepper has positive health benefits. But before you start loading black pepper onto every single meal, realize that there are possible negatives, as well (which can practically be said about most any food!)

Anne Clarke writes numerous articles for websites on gardening, parenting, fashion, and home decor. Her background includes teaching and gardening. For more of her articles on fur boots and fashion please visit Salt and Pepper Shakers.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Anne_Clarke

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 06:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well. That kind'a killt the thread, didn't it?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 06:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I am thinking of forming an on line company for the express purpose of killing threads. $48.50 per hit. If I can be successful on this thread, it may be a go.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd give you a recommendation, ed. You're good!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Studies, man.

Pepper causes this and that? cite the peer reviewed papers.

Your source does fur boots? salt and pepper shakers?