Gingrich? Really?

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 07:32 am
Wouldn't it be a hoot if because of the Cain controversy, Perry's idiocy and the fact that the GOP hates Romney Gingrich ended up with the nomination.? Stranger things have happened.

engineer

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 07:45 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
When I ask myself "would this person completely destroy the country to push an ideological agenda I rate the candidates (completely through personal opinion) something like this:

Huntsman: no
Paul: no
Romney: probably not
Gingrich: probably not
Perry: maybe
Bachmann: absolutely
Santorum: absolutely
Cain: not seriously running

So on my scale of utter destruction, I rate Gingrich over Perry anyway. I just don't see why Huntsman doesn't ever get any traction. Not that I'd ever vote for him, but he seems to be a better "anyone but Romney" than Gingrich.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:02 am
I like Huntsman.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:09 am
@engineer,
You don't think Ron Paul would completely destroy the country to push an ideological agenda?
engineer

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:23 am
@maxdancona,
No, but I really haven't researched him all that well so if you have an opinion I'm willing to listen.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:34 am
@engineer,
Ron Paul and his supporters are adorable. But they are completely nuts.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 02:14 pm
@maxdancona,
I think all the repubs being considered are nuts!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 02:41 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
. I just don't see why Huntsman doesn't ever get any traction. Not that I'd ever vote for him, but he seems to be a better "anyone but Romney" than Gingrich.

Huntsman's painted himself into a no-win corner -- just apostate enough that he'll never really get the base excited about him, but way too passive to get Independents fired up. (Like going along with the crowd at one of the first Republican debates re: refusing even one dollar of tax increases for ten dollars in cuts.)

Meanwhile, re: Gingrich, the supply of new Not-Romneys is running out, so they're cycling back to the beginning. Will Michele have her moment too? Could happen.

It's amazingly chaotic now, I'm assuming that everyone will finally realize that only Romney has a fighting chance, and hold their nose and select him. Tepidly.

But the chaos on the way has been interesting.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 02:48 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
The GOP completely baffles me....

Ron Paul got 84% of a straw poll vote in Iowa, but the group endorsed Santorum...
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:12 pm
@DrewDad,
that's why they call it the heartland... the brain isn't there.
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:14 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Hehehehehehe . . .

you're a bad man . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 04:25 pm
@engineer,
Interesting opinion. I don't think I disagree, though I may change my mind over the next several months.
0 Replies