responded to by = responded by?

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:59 am

Context:

Up to 1830, the balance of trade being continually in favour of the Chinese, there existed an uninterrupted importation of silver from India, Britain and the United States into China. Since 1833, and especially since 1840, the export of silver from China to India has become almost exhausting for the Celestial Empire. Hence the strong decrees of the Emperor against the opium trade, responded to by still stronger resistance to his measures. Besides this immediate economical consequence, the bribery connected with opium smuggling has entirely demoralized the Chinese State officers in the Southern provinces. Just as the Emperor was wont to be considered the father of all China, so his officers were looked upon as sustaining the paternal relation to their respective districts. But this patriarchal authority, the only moral link embracing the vast machinery of the State, has gradually been corroded by the corruption of those officers, who have made great gains by conniving at opium smuggling. This has occurred principally in the same Southern provinces where the rebellion commenced. It is almost needless to observe that, in the same measure in which opium has obtained the sovereignty over the Chinese, the Emperor and his staff of pedantic mandarins have become dispossessed of their own sovereignty. It would seem as though history had first to make this whole people drunk before it could rouse them out of their hereditary stupidity.

More:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1853/06/14.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,341 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:30 am
Marxists never could write elegant English. However the 'to' is neccessary.

Those who opposed the Emperor's decrees responded to them.

Responded to = answered. I responded to you. I answered you.

I would rewrite it thus

Hence the strong decrees of the Emperor against the opium trade, which were answered by still stronger resistance to his measures.

oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 04:46 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Marxists never could write elegant English. However the 'to' is neccessary.

Those who opposed the Emperor's decrees responded to them.

Responded to = answered. I responded to you. I answered you.

I would rewrite it thus

Hence the strong decrees of the Emperor against the opium trade, which were answered by still stronger resistance to his measures.

Got it!
Thank you.

But your rewriting is not a sentence. Please re-rewrite it so that I can get it better. Very Happy
contrex

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 04:55 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

But your rewriting is not a sentence.

Why not?
0 Replies