pay the Chinese dues on the British vessels ?

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 10:52 am

Does "pay the Chinese dues on the British vessels " mean that "the British vessels need to pay the Chinese?"

Context:
“In Shanghai the terror is described as extreme. Gold had advanced in value upwards of 25 per cent., being eagerly sought for hoarding; silver had so far disappeared that none could be obtained to pay the Chinese dues on the British vessels requiring port clearance; and in consequence of which Mr. Consul Alcock has consented to become responsible to the Chinese authorities for the payment of these dues, on receipt of East India Company’s bills, or other approved securities. The scarcity of the precious metals is one of the most unfavourable features, when viewed in reference to the immediate future of commerce, as this abstraction occurs precisely at that period when their use is most needed, to enable the tea and silk buyers to go into their interior and effect their purchases, for which a large portion of bullion if paid in advance, to enable the producers to carry on their operations.”

More:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1853/06/14.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 327 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 10:56 am
@oristarA,
The full expression is "pay the Chinese dues on the British vessels requiring port clearance". Often countries will charge fees to vessels to enter or leave ports.
oristarA

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 05:52 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The full expression is "pay the Chinese dues on the British vessels requiring port clearance". Often countries will charge fees to vessels to enter or leave ports.

Thanks.

But I don't understand you well, because I fail to recognize the difference between "charge fees to vessels" and "charge fees from vessels." They are totally different to me.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 07:38 pm
@oristarA,
Let me try again. Often countries will require the owners of ships to pay fees before they are allowed to enter or leave a port.
oristarA

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 09:32 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Let me try again. Often countries will require the owners of ships to pay fees before they are allowed to enter or leave a port.

It is very clear now. Thanks.

So the British vessels could nowhere get silver as means to pay fees for port clearance in that context?
0 Replies