Chickenpox Lollipops? Sounds delish!! Or does it?

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 06:40 am
Quote:
U.S. parents sell chickenpox lollipops
By Jon Swaine, The Daily Telegraph November 8, 2011
American parents have been caught selling chickenpox-infected lollipops to other families who want their children to catch the virus while they are young.

For the rest of the disturbing article:
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/parents+sell+chickenpox+lollipops/5671093/story.html#ixzz1dD9pH4si
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 06:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Isn't that horrible?

I saw that at some point recently (Yahoo news? not sure), and literally was going "ewwww" throughout.

Vaccinations, people! Not evil! Really!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 07:02 am
I don't think it will even work. Chickenpox is airborne and is not transfered via bodily fluids.
Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 09:39 am
@Green Witch,
Just plain old odd. Why the heck do you want to infect your child with something? Dumb - just dumb.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 10:21 am
Unbelievable! Yet, I know that some parents couldn't care less about other kids. I remember when my daughter was in elementary school where childhood diseases are so much more prevalent, so many kids were sent home by the school nurse because they were truly ill, some did have chickenpox too, but nonetheless pushed into school by their parents.

Luckily my kid had the chickenpox vaccine before entering kindergarten and just got a booster shot a few weeks back. I did the same (never had chicken pox) and got immunized.
Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 10:50 am
@CalamityJane,
So I may have been one of the parents (unintentionally).

My daughter was in kindergarten and was passing out some papers. One of the boys looked at her and yelled - she got spots! All the kids started complaining about being itchy. The teacher sent her to the office - fortunately a parent that was a nurse was volunteering that day. She asked my daughter is see recently had strep throat (which she did) and if she was still taking medicine for it - which she was, but was beyond the number of days to be infecting others.

Seems she had an allegeric reaction to the pencillian - causing the red dots all over her. Was funny as the kids all thought they had chicken pox or something - caused quite a scence in the kindergarten class.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 11:16 am
@Linkat,
Linkat's daughter: weapon of mass psychosomatic itchiness.

Linkat, is your daughter registered with the UN WMD Registry?
Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 12:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was quite funny when I talked with the teacher to confirm it was indeed an allergic reaction. Who would have thought that kindergartners were hypochondriacs?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 06:02 pm
@Linkat,
Even the Onion takes a swipe at the story:
http://theonion.com/articles/chicken-pox-lollipops-ineffective,26588/#
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 06:10 pm
@Linkat,
I don't know what I did but I got a error message when I replied to this before -
anyway, I figure you know you have to watch carefully your daughter doesn't have any more penicillin (or its progeny) as that is one allergy that can progress to really dangerous.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:49 am
@ossobuco,
Yes definately - I do have to watch - especially as I've and no one in my family has had allergies (other than seasonal) - I almost always automatically note no allergeries. I caught myself on this one when filling out some school forms at the beginning of the year (although the school would probably remember after the scence a couple of years ago).
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:02 am
@Linkat,
A lot of people are allergic to Penicillin, just make sure that it's everywhere noted on your daughter's medical forms in school and at the pediatrician's office.

Yes, Kindergarten kids can be very hypochondriac, I've seen it myself when one kid gets sent home because he/she's ill, all of a sudden the entire class has symptoms. At one time, when I had to pick up my kid from Kindergarten (she faked being sick), there were 6 kids at the nurse's station, all with the same symptoms. At that age, it's still hilarious....
0 Replies