So what the heck is up with duct tape?

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:36 pm
It all started last year, when one of daughter's friends asked for green duct tape for her birthday. So we bought her some green duct tape (along with a couple of other items). But I'm thinking weird.

Now I see all sorts of colors and designs of duct tape. My daughter comes home with a new bow in her hair - made of duct tape.

You see any of this? Great marketing for duct tape.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,036 • Replies: 15

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:38 pm
@Linkat,
I don't know, but if bailing wire jumps in popularity, I might become trendy...

people here call it duck tape.

quack.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Here is the quack website (showing all the cool things you can make) - Duck, I believe is the company name - but the generic name is duct.

http://duckbrand.com/Duck%20Tape%20Club/ducktivities/fashion-accessories.aspx
sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
I love it!

It will feature prominently in sozlet's Project Runway-themed party. (Which is thanks to you by the way -- we started with Top Chef, then she wanted to do Bravo reality shows, we kind of stopped at Top Chef + Project Runway, that seemed confusing, now it's just Project Runway.)

So far I have pink and black zebra stripe, metallic silver (not the standard dull silver, really shiny), and white with black designs on it. I want to get a few more, it adds up though.

That plus a bunch of cheapo plastic tablecoverings will be the basis of the outfits.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:50 pm
@sozobe,
It is cool - we used it for our basketball halloween costume.

Just seems to have come out of no where. Or perhaps I just did not notice.

Hope the party goes well! Ours was a success. We made home made individual pizzas/cookies/veggies on a stick. Believe it or not, the veggies skewers were a huge hit - although we had one minor stabbing.
sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 03:37 pm
@Linkat,
Well as long as it was minor. Very Happy

I've been seeing the interesting patterns on Duck tape for a while now. I got the black-on-white pattern a couple of years ago just because I liked it. I've done so many things with it, really useful.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 03:40 pm
@Linkat,
If you check the archives on that website, you can see photos of contestants over the years in their "Stuck at Prom" contest.

My son Jeremy's entry from 2004 is still there. Jeremy sewed his outfit and his date's outfit entirely from duct tape.
http://www.duckbrand.com/contests/prom/graphics/contest/2004/281_Big.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 03:42 pm
red green's duct tape hall of fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSDZJSKiVI
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 03:57 pm
@Linkat,
I have no idea....out here the kids don't use duct tape (yet)...
Just make sure your husband isn't buying you any for Christmas!
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
I looked online at amazon - some of these designed duct tapes are damn expensive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:19 pm
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:28 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

If you check the archives on that website, you can see photos of contestants over the years in their "Stuck at Prom" contest.

My son Jeremy's entry from 2004 is still there. Jeremy sewed his outfit and his date's outfit entirely from duct tape.
http://www.duckbrand.com/contests/prom/graphics/contest/2004/281_Big.jpg

Looks like the neighbors don't like to mow their lawn.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:18 pm
I was going to experiment with duct tape once but Marco thought it was too sophiscated for me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:28 pm
@Rockhead,
Love Red Green! I think the first duct tape outfit I saw was back in around 1979 or 1980 - it was a tribute to the nerdy guy on Red Green.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:29 pm
@wandeljw,
Good going Jeremy!
wandeljw

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Jeremy is very creative. He did all the sewing using various colors of duct tape. The girl was a friend of his that went along with the whole thing because she is also a "free spirit." It is actually hot and uncomfortable to wear clothes made out of duct tape.
0 Replies