The English language is puzzling to other countries

shernia

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
yes, I am not a english native speaker, so I also feel very confused about the language.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 05:52 am
@shernia,
English does not really come from one language, and has both Germanic and Romantic roots, and constantly absorbs language from other cultures.

With the establishment of the Danelaw, England was split in half, with Anglo-Saxon spoken in the South and West, and Norse spoken in the North and East. People moved backwards and forwards and the two languages became mixed, words doubled up, taking on more nuanced meanings, like 'skin' and 'hide,' which essentially mean the same thing, but hide tends to be used when talking about animals, and skin for humans.

You then have the Norman invasion of 1066 which brought French into the mix, and both French and Anglo Saxon have Latin influence, so we're talking of four main languages making up the mix. The establishment of 'standard' English did not rule out all the dialectic varients throught the country. Then with the establishment of trade and empire new words from other languages came flooding in, bungalow (India) hacienda (Spain) spaghetti (Italy) anorak (North America) boomerang (Australia) schadenfreude (Germany) are just a few examples off the top of my head.

So it's no wonder you find it confusing.
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 05:57 am
@izzythepush,
In addition, Anglo-Saxon was not a single language initially. (That's why i prefer Old English.) Anglo-Saxon is a blend of the language of the Angeln, the Saxons, the Frisians, the Danes and the Jutes. There were also significant contributions from both Brythonic and Goidelic Keltic languages (the Welsh, Bretons, Manx, Cornish, Irish and Scots).
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 06:41 am
@izzythepush,
I do not think it is where words come from which makes a foreign language puzzling. Most people do not even know where words originally comes from in their own language and seldom when they start to learn a new language.
It is more that you think differently. What is logic in one language seems illogic in another.
What is on TV? What is in TV?
Languages where a word is either masculin or feminin and just the opposite in another language. The girl in German is das Mädchen (because of chen) so correctly you would say The girl it is....for me very impolite as I would say the girl she.
0 Replies