Low fat this, Low fat that.

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 07:58 am
@saab,
Furthermore, grandparents doing wash...was a real physical task (scrubbing clothes on washboard, sometimes making the soap from tallow,etc.)

Heating the home often times was a massive physcial task (collecting and/or cutting, hauling and stacking firewood, building the fire, stoking, adjusting damper-cleaning and dumping the ashes). Nowadays we don't even have to call the gas or heating oil company on the phone as it's done by computer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:16 am
I have emphasized my intake of dairy and animal fat, here, but I also, every day, eat such as walnuts and other nuts, flax seeds and avocados, because that fat is also beneficial. I have cut back, drastically, grains, but do eat them sparingly. Beyond that, I eat kale, broccoli, onions, garlic, radishes, spinach (raw), and such, not too much salt. My biggest failure is giving in to too many carbohydrates and in between meals snacks.
0 Replies

jcboy
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:20 am
If you saw the size of his rear end you’d understand why I buy some fat-free products. Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:00 am
Fat is good in your diet, but I hope at least some of you realize it's not the fat in milk or butter you should be after. Ton of bad saturated fat...nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, ect., is where your fat intake should come from. Half this country wobbles instead of walks.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:15 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I went to 2% milk a few years ago at the insistence of the kids, but the whole low fat and fat free fad was a mistake. We need the fat, it is good for us mostly, and it helps us to feel satisfied and thus to eat less. The weight of Americans has ballooned since the fad started but it is not yet clear how much the low fat diets have caused it and how much the over carbing which also started around that time is to blame.

Bingo.

And the reason people started to balloon is because to replace the flavor of foods, and make them more appealing , there have been DOZENS of chemicals added that our bodies can not digest, nor can they properly filter out and remove. Since those chemicals do register as a type of 'food' the body stores it like fat since it can not burn it off.

It is not always about the AMOUNT of calories someone consumes, it is the QUALITY which is hard to decipher when something says ' ' healthy choice '' for example... yet the ingredients in it cause more fat storage than most other foods even though it is 'low calorie'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:19 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

What tickles me are the sugar claims. "No sugar added", "Naturally sweetened". These statements don't offer a clue as to how much sugar the really contain.

right.
and then , instead of saying they add sugar, they use corn syrup, aspartame, cane syrup and a few other things that people dont recognize as sugar... and they eat it thinking its 'sugar free'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:30 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

...nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, ect., is where your fat intake should come from.

exactly.
The best 'diet' i have seen to date for people with a lot of health problems has been one VERY HEAVY in the consumption of nuts, fruits only for sweets and heavy dark green leafy foods with lean proteins.

I did an outline just like that, with a counted calorie intake close to 3k due to the nuts. I lost weight quickly. I ate large bowls of green leafy foods , 1/2 small water melons for breakfast, cashews by the bags... and my body felt fantastic.

When the calories , fat and proteins are what your body can digest, it uses almost 80% of everything you take in so the fat storage is MINIMAL.. hence easy weight loss

but, due to the number of calories, no one believes it. Everyone is sold on the hammered in american idea that low calorie no fat is the best. Yet.. we are all starving for nutrients and this country is almost, if not number 1 in the amount of diseases and health problems due to diet than any other country.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 02:54 pm
@Ragman,
I forgot the milk:)

Actually, I am Lactose intollerant so I drink lactose free milk, funny I go for the skim?

That's very good points too about Grandparents, I was looking at it from one perspective where it boiled down to healthy eating.

Definately, they moved alot, alot, more than us....

Here we are typing away at keyboards instead of getting out there and walking:) Then again it's like 6am here, diabetic dog, it's too cold out there yet...
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 07:07 am
If there's anything we should avoid, it's chips and soda pop.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 11:22 am
Do you ever notice that the heaviest people tend to have more of the "low fat", "fat-free", "reduced abc", "low sugar", "no sugar" stuff in their groceries carts?

I do - but then again, I'm nosey.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 02:17 pm
@Linkat,
I certainly have noticed. From which, I've concluded that Weight Watchers frozen meals are the leading cause of obesity in the United States.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 01:35 am
I have noticed amongst the people I know that the ones who are very overweight are the ones who never have breakfast.
There must be a connection between a good meal in the morning and your body weight.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:44 am
@saab,
Not true - I rarely eat breakfast and I am thin. And I have been this way since a kid. Just don't care much for breakfast and usually am not hungry in the morning.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:56 am
They actually did tests on fat free and low fat dieters - they tend to eat more food when it's fat free because it simply doesn't satisfy you.

I've tried it myself: I bought fat free cookies and ate the entire box and was still not satisfied. Then I bought 2 butter cookies from the French bakery and I was done - filled me up and satisfied my appetite for sweets. I also use real butter and olive oil and I tend to cook with fresh ingredients, no canned goods.

Frankly, like others said, I am more concerned about the sugar intake. Once you start reading the labels, you can't believe how much hidden sugar content there is in just about everything.

Morgan, go to Trader Joe's and buy some Greek yoghurt, it's just divine,
has fewer calories, fills you up and satisfies your appetite.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:59 am
@CalamityJane,
What CJane said.
0 Replies