"What on earth is 'spirituality' these days?"

carnaticmystery

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:57 pm
@Procrustes,
i think spirituality is about the QUESTION of whether there is something more to us than body and mind. so spirit is a word used to describe that possible something. however, blindly believing in it, as many probably do, is not my definition of spirituality. non duality is imo the best philosophical pathway which can lead to answering the question of spirituality.
0 Replies

Thomastrokan33

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 11:47 am
@Procrustes,
I like your philosophy, on spirituality being a technology that can be literally used; I have these ideas, to accommodate your outlook

The political liberal database infrastructure, of the Tuesday extramarital affair, can design sunlight's philosophy of humanity (opinion of humanity), as a way to design the political conservatism identity apparatus of said sunlight's opinion machine.

The essence, of the designing, is to allow said sunlight protection from harm due to its condescension to humanity (despite humanity having no remit over a non-colour gravy end to end, end to end just meaning the abstract, of movement to destination)

The gothic database, that can authorise the activation code of manual labour in Bilston's Smyths Toys, due to Smyths toys being a colour generator from no archive centre in the universe, i.e. a political ally, of sunlight, won't, because of the colour generator being able to recognise itself as a non-colour gravy end to end, and better yet a colour friendly Sociology Pavement.

Sociology Pavement:
it refers to the creator of outer space having a rival.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:58 pm
I think spirituality is firstly, and most importantly, distinctly different from the supernatural, which is a fantastic construct and defence mechanism of the patriarchy to avoid relationship with nature.

Spirit has been corruptly interpreted in a spiritually materialistic manner, as extended ego looking to never die and having everlasting existence in some vague preternatural, fantastic place.

Spirituality is that feeling of connectedness of the mind and the physical, the harmony that one feels when mind and nature are in balance.

Spirituality has nothing to do with ghosts or material spirits any more than saying the school spirit is a ghost that hangs out in the football locker room.

Thinking of spirituality as disembodied spirits is like imagining listening to music without ears, without a sense of touch or even sight to read the notes. Helen Keller described "listening" to music by feeling the vibrations with her hands, but imagine if the sense if touch were missing. Where is the music?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 03:14 pm
@coluber2001,
Winchester is about 14 miles north of here.

It's home to the Eclipse pub, one of Britain'smost haunted pubs.

I've been there loads, I used to work in Winchester after all.

I have never seen anything, but every single person that works there has a story.

Mostly about people who aren't there. Customers talking about the nice person at the top of the stairs they had a chat with, stuff like that.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 03:39 pm
@izzythepush,
"Mostly about people who aren't there. Customers talking about the nice person at the top of the stairs they had a chat with, stuff like that."

I've had a few hypnopompic hallucinations after a nap where I wake up and with my eyes still closed can see the room I'm in. It's strange thinking you're fully awake and can see the room with your eyes closed. Then you really wake up and open your eyes and you see the room doesn't look anything like what you hallucinated.

I imagine seeing ghosts is something like that. The mind is a strange thing. There are states of mind between dreams and wakefulness that are neither.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 04:22 pm
@coluber2001,
These people were wide awake.

I think there is something, I'd call it a phenonemon.

I'm not claiming it's anything other than that.

There was a popular BBC ghost story from the 70's , called The Stone Tape.

It was about a TV crew investigating a haunting with the premis that ghost sightings were not at all supernatueal. That certain highly emotional events, battles, killings, executions etc. would imprint some kind of memory in the landscape itself.

It was like a recording of the events in the stones, hence the name stone tape.

Certain conditions could trigger the 'tape' and cause a replay, which was seen as a haunting.

The story hinged on this being something that could be explained scientifically, once the magnetism, radio and wotnot was sorted out. It wasn't supernatural, science just hadn't caught up to it yet, but it would.

I try to keep an open mind, I don't like to to dismiss anything out of hand.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 08:04 am
@izzythepush,
Why the need to explain something?

If someone experiences something untoward which they can't explain, you can just take their word for it.

What's wrong with saying you just don't know instead of having to give some rational explanation?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 09:33 am
The take of an atheist:
The unexplained may or may never be deciphered. I am okay with that. When something momentous happens to a close relative without my knowledge that person comes to mind as it happens. The night my brother died in a car crash I was in Kansas City, he in Corpus Christi. At that same time I thought of him and sought out a photo of him. Turns out a brother that was rooming with me did the same in a different location than mine. It has happened numerous times. My last brother to die fought cancer for several months without my knowledge. I didn't see him the entire time. But it kept nagging at me that I should make amends for certain problems I had with him over the years. It nagged at me until he died. I found out he was dead about 16 months later.

My first wife in Rhode Island said to me, "I just had a flash of my mother, stalled on the freeway in the rain." Her mother was on a trip to Galveston from Houston and it actually took place when my wife said it did.

A few years back my brother in law told me about strange goings on with his house. It came out like a standard haunted house story. In this instance they discovered the house sat on a fault line. The house was shifting.

We are likely to go extinct as a species before many of such mysteries are fully understood.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 09:38 am
@edgarblythe,
I didn't drink in the Eclipse because it is one of Britain's most haunted pubs.

When I went there for a lunchtime drink I didn't know anything about it being haunted.

That shows how long ago it was because I haven't had a drink at lunchtime for at least twenty years.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 10:00 am
If you wanted to terrify one of my old bosses just let her know there's a Ouija board in the vicinity. She did tell a few ghost stories that if true were hard to explain or dismiss, such as people she knew seeing a ghost then describing the ghost to someone who says, "That's Uncle ___." Which would be remarkable since she claims the person had never seen the man and hadn't seen any photos of him. In her case I never knew how much was imagination, how much actual fact.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 10:22 am
@edgarblythe,
According to QI the furore over ouija boards only kicked off after
The Exorcist.

When they were first marketed it didn't have anything to do with ghosts and that, it was about getting in touch with the subconscious, latent psychic abilities etc.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 10:41 am
I didn't watch that movie. Ouija is just a toy to me. My next younger brother and I once got one. We each asked questions but the piece never moved. Finally we began shoving it against each other to form our own answers. We were too disappointed in it to try more sessions.
0 Replies