Zoloft Effects-Other Questions

dmo1124

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:20 pm
So, I am going through a hard time right now. I have written about a break-up and self-esteem issues I am dealing with. A few months ago my doctor gave me a prescription for Zoloft (100mg-she wanted me to do half 50mg for the first 2 weeks and bump up). I had felt like I was just in a bad place and depressed. I started taking them then but immediately didn't like the effects so I just stopped. I always feel like my moods get better or worse depending on situations.

I am thinking I really do need to try to go back on it again. I just experienced such jitteriness and it made me feel so unbalanced at first. Is this normal? Should I stick it out? I am seeing a counselor but I don't see her until Monday. I probably will wait and ask her opinion. I just wanted to get others opinions or experiences they may have had. At this point (and I know I have a lot on my plate right now) I just feel so unbalanced and unable to focus and have absolutely no drive. I force myself to do things but its not all that enjoyable. I really want to be in a better place where things come with ease and I am back to being motivated and don't feel like I constantly have to FORCE myself to do things. I have lost 60lbs and I want so badly to get the last 35-40 off and its so hard to even push myself to go to the gym.

I have been talking to the guy some that our relationship ended and I am trying to maintain a friendship but I don't know if I am doing more harm than good. I don't know if I have clinical depression and just don't always feel it or situational depression. I struggle with bad anxiety because I have constant self question and self doubt. I have Klonipin (lowest dosage)-which I have been taking regularly lately and I do not like that....but I feel like that isn't even really helping.

Any advice, experiences, words of encouragement would be so greatly appreciated. I work as a full time nanny so I am by myself majority of the time (which doesn't help my overwhelming amount of thoughts) and I do not have many friends in the area (at least not single ones).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,513 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:13 pm
@dmo1124,
We aren't doctors and can't give you medical advice.

Call the doctor who prescribed the medication to you and tell them about the effects you feel from it. Also tell them that you stopped taking the medication because of these effects. Tell them you feel you need to continue the meds but need the dose to be adjusted to help you get used to the way it makes you feel.

http://www.drugs.com/zoloft.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
Zoloft side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: skin rash or hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, overactive reflexes;

nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, feeling unsteady, loss of coordination; or

headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, confusion, hallucinations, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops.

Less serious Zoloft side effects may include:

drowsiness, dizziness, tired feeling;

mild nausea, stomach pain, upset stomach, constipation;

dry mouth;

changes in appetite or weight;

sleep problems (insomnia); or

decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

Keep going to the gym. You've made great progress with your weight loss (I'm envious) and it will help for you to get out and be among other people. You're almost two-thirds of the way toward your goal. That last third will be the hardest to lose. Maybe you can partner up with someone at the gym and motivate each other.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:15 pm
@dmo1124,
Yes you do have a lot on your plate. You don't have to beat yourself up. I have taken zoloft for many years and it has worked for me. Like all meds, it has side effects, and you just have to ride them out. This is hard to do when you're upset and want some relief. It's good that you see your therapist soon. Take a break this weekend from making decisions and self blame. There are many anti depressants out there. Don't settle until you find one that helps you.
dmo1124

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:21 pm
@mags314772,
Thank you very much Mags. Its hard because you want just immediate relief but I know that cannot happen. Patience isn't a strong suit of mine ;0) hahaha. I appreciate your very kind words. I had been on Zoloft in the past for many years and it seemed to work great. This time I just felt jittery and I think a lot had to generally do with my nerves. I feel like I should ride it out because it could potentially really help. I will definetly be bringing this up with my counselor. Thank you again. Through hard times it is always nice to hear kind words.
0 Replies