Why doesn't "My Posts"...

Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 07:53 am
Why doesn't "My Posts" take you directly and specifically to am itemized chronological listing of one's posts? Instead it just takes you to the thread where they're buried, thus making the "My Posts" search next to useless.

Why is there so much wasted space on the A2K website, thus making the amount of actual thread-based text that can be seen at any one time needlessly limited?

Why doesn't "Control Z" undo as it does on many other websites?

Why is there a needlessly limited amount of time available for edits to a post after which no changes can be made? It is annoying for those that edit after viewing the results in their entirety so as to ensure suitable formating etc.

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:15 am
Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Don't they know, it's the end of the world?

chai(It's a joke, I say a joke son)tea
sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:16 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Why doesn't "My Posts" take you directly and specifically to am itemized chronological listing of one's posts? Instead it just takes you to the thread where they're buried, thus making the "My Posts" search next to useless.

Try this instead:

http://able2know.org/user/chumly/

It's just a long list of your posts.
Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:35 am
@sozobe,
I know 'bout that, but it does not address the numerous annoyances proper forum software would not have, inclusive of but hardly limited to the ineffectual "My Posts".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:37 am
@chai2,
And the ultra-lame manner in which you have to use a third party website just to present pix sux. Talk about unintutive and kludgey.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:40 am
Go find another forum then or make your own.

Bitch, bitch, bitch. Whine, whine, whine.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:56 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
Why is there a needlessly limited amount of time available for edits to a post after which no changes can be made? It is annoying for those that edit after viewing the results in their entirety so as to ensure suitable formating etc
Use PREVIEW, that way you can see exactly what your post will look like. A major reason to limit editing time at many sites is to prevent a post from being altered after responses have come in. Many's the time when a poster would like to then alter there origami post to make it seem as if the respondents were not actually responding to them. If after making a post, if it doesn't seem quite right, then just reply to your earlier post and indicate your changes and state that you had a thought change or had an item or 3 to add. I mean really, what's the problem? There isn't any.
Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:59 am
Further, consider that vBulletin has been around for a long time, is inexpensive and has little to none of the needless and unintuitive issues that plague the A2K forum software. So it's not as if there was/is some dire requisite to use this rattletrap A2K forum software.

Robert has had plenty of time to get the A2K forum software to a point where it is intuitive, streamlined and functional, even if that would mean he is simply be reinventing the wheel.

Alas this has not happened...for example and as as discussed, check out how much space is wasted prior to and after the body of text in a given post.
Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:08 am
@Sturgis,
Be that as it may as to the claimed rationale / solution it is neither needed nor intuitive.

Witness this website of which I have been a member for 8 years; it does not suffer from such absurd time-policing, it simply time-stamps the latest edit so it's obvious as to net chronology.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/

Further it's not simply the desire on a poster's part to see the results prior (without unintuitive fiddling as on A2K) but freedom to edit with time-stamping is more streamlined and more interesting and more dynamic.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:09 am
@Chumly,
Why do you care so much about wasted space? It's not like there's a premium on it. It's just 'space'.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:19 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
Be that as it may as to the claimed rationale / solution it is neither needed nor intuitive.

Witness this website of which I have been a member for 8 years; it does not suffer from such absurd time-policing, it simply time-stamps the latest edit so it's obvious as to net chronology.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/

Further it's not simply the desire on a poster's part to see the results prior (without unintuitive fiddling as on A2K) but freedom to edit with time-stamping is more streamlined and more interesting and more dynamic.

Would you like I should call you a Waaaaaaaaambulance? Better yet, you dial it yourself, it's Whine-One-One.

The system works fine. If you have suggestions for an improved (or what you see as improved) system/format then contact the owner and tell them direct. Either they will go with it, or they won't. If they don't then you can stay here and complain or leave or adjust and enjoy what the site does have to offer you.
Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:19 am
@Mame,
You do not understand the difference between "white space" and "wasted space".
Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:21 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
You do not understand the difference between "white space" and "wasted space".

Is it any skin off your teeth? Then why get so crazy over it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:26 am
@Sturgis,
Your counters are more based on habituation than comparison, thus they lack objectivity.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:28 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
Your counters are more based on habituation that by comparison.

I am on several other sites, and have been on 2 of them longer than I've been at A2K, so I've had plenty to compare to.
Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:40 am
@Sturgis,
None of which have you provided with any specificity by comparison. Further, I have no knowledge of the websites you claim to use as points for your ill-defined comparison because you have not referenced them directly nor assessed them in context.

Thus I dismiss your claims.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:47 am
@Chumly,
Look, contact the Help desk or whatever and deal with your issues there.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 10:04 am
@Chumly,

Quote:
I dismiss your claims

Good, and I hereby dismiss you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 12:12 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

And the ultra-lame manner in which you have to use a third party website just to present pix sux. Talk about unintutive and kludgey.

Let me guess.
You haven't gotten laid in awhile.
chai2

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 12:33 pm
@chai2,
I just came back from a 3 hour orientation for a temp job I'm going to start week after the next, from 4pm to 9pm 7 days a week.

The showers in the mens area of a homeless shelter downtown is going to be closed down for a couple months (at least) for renovation, because of mold in the walls.

They are setting up 6 portable shower stalls in the covered (but open) parking area of the garage. Instead of showering indoors (and it's required if they are going to spend the night), over 200 men are going to be required to take a shower and step out into the cold night air of Novemeber, December and January. Since it's outside, the men will be allowed to smoke.

I'm going to be the one handing out soap/shampoo/condition to the guys waiting (sorry, no towels, use your own, or a t-shirt) and keep the line moving so 200 guys can shower in 5 hours. Out in the open air parking garage, but with the smoke.

Hey, I agreed to the assignment, no worries about me. I need the cash.

Somehow, the wasted space etc. issues at A2k don't seem much compared to having to shower basically outside during this winter, in order to qualify for a bunk bed, or mat on the floor.

0 Replies