Serious Vandalism causing John Adams rolls in his grave

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:52 pm
from a post of mine in 2007 - registering my embarrassment, I hope -

I've told this story a few times before on a2k. In my last city of residence, I had been slowly transforming my own back and front yard and fairly extensive sideyard, to fit my design, on a low budget. Let's say the front yard looked miserable for quite a while. Then someone staked a pink flamingo right near the front steps...

I figured it was the sardonic mailman, who kept saying to me, so, "you're a landscape architect, eh?" I saw it, flushed at the insult, and tossed it in the trash.

About a week later, I learned there was some breast cancer awareness crusade, something to do with a radio program, that involved passing a flamingo on and sending in money....
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I have heard of the breast cancer flamingoes - but these ones did come with a sign explaining the purpose.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:03 pm
@Linkat,
I'm still sort of horrified I blamed the mailman, who, besides being sardonic, a trait I understand and often share, was a nice guy at heart. Worse, I bet it was someone I knew and liked who put the flamingo there - it was right around the time I had bc myself, maybe a year after. Egads and little fishes.. embarrassing.
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Great story now though - good for a chuckle...I bet the mailman likes to tell the story as well.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:08 pm
@Linkat,
Maybe flamingo placers have learned from situations like my not getting it, so thus the info sign.

I haven't looked at the articles or the videos on this - where in the yard were the flamingoes situated? Mine was maybe a foot off of the concrete path to my porch. I might have been even more irritated if the flamingo was planted further into the front yard.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:11 pm
@Linkat,
I didn't see the mailman every day, just every other saturday when I wasn't at work - so I think I got a clue before I did a rant on him. But I had blamed him in my heart.. poor lad.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Its hard to tell for sure from the pictures - but I believe they put them in the front near the concrete - like your experience - at least that is what I've heard and what it looks from the pictures.

I bet a friend of mine has been flocked - he is well known in the city and has worked as a town rep before. He would know for sure. Living in a condo we don't get the pleasure of being flocked.

On the positive side - this has caused even more people wanting to flock others - I think it will be a great year for this fund raiser.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
Good then! Keep us updated, eh? The flamingo tribulations.. and victories.
0 Replies