Police union wants 9/11 off or extra $$ to show up

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
A town in Massachusetts has decided to give the police department a paid holiday for 9-11. So if an officer does not take the holiday and works s/he gets paid time and a half.

Representatives of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers and the International Union of Police Associations told The Salem News they knew of no similar contract provisions in any other city.

The New York Police Department, which lost 23 officers at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, does not recognize the day as a paid holiday.

I watched this report on the news last night and was confused. Our esteemed state just laid off tons of people and made these huge budget cuts across the board, but yet the town of Peabody can give this to their police officers. Many people in our state feel this is disrespectful to those directly impacted by 9-11. The police officers and union involved don’t see how this could be disrespectful.

Is this a show of disrespect or respect?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,626 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:25 am
@Linkat,
It is a sign of greed and using this event to pad their overtime.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:50 am
@Linkat,
Updated: October 21st, 2008 10:59 AM GMT-05:00
On Sept. 11, officers who work will, for the first time, be paid time-and-a-quarter. The contract, signed earlier this month.....
http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=43785

UPDATED: 10:27 AM EDT October 22, 2008
A proposed new contract between the city and the police union would make the anniversary a paid holiday. The proposed contract still needs budgetary approval from the city council. Officers would receive an extra 25 percent pay for working September 11.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/22/holiday.pay.ap/index.html

0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:43 am
Oh, and never mind this:
There are 100 members of the union. A first-year officer working full time receives a salary of roughly $40,000 a year......
http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=43785
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 09:42 am
@Linkat,
Sorry Linkat....I didn't answer your question in your post Embarrassed
I don't see how having 9/11 as a paid holiday is a matter of respect or disrespect. It is just a contract item that was negotiated.
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@TTH,
I see it as a matter of disrespect as these police officers are benefiting financially from a tragic situation. It would be different if they then turned around and gave their extra pay to those that were hurt by the situation.
0 Replies