Anti-same-sex-marriage ad on pg A23, Boston Globe

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:02 am
Has anyone seen this? The full-page ad was headed thusly: When It Comes to Raising Kids, Same-Sex Marriage Isn't the Same.

It links same-sex marriage with lower mental and pysichal health, with poor learning and abuse, and other negative traits. It doesn't do that by quoting studies about homosexual parents and their kids, but by quoting studies about children reared without both biological parents. Isn't this a bit of a stretch?

I went to the website of the group who put this together, it's even more disturbing.

More later (I'm at work), just wanted to know if anyone had seen this and what they thought.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 17
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
Re: Anti-same-sex-marriage ad on pg A23, Boston Globe
littlek wrote:
...but by quoting studies about children reared without both biological parents.

Sounds like they'd have a 'thing' against divorce...

Haven't seen the ad... no doubt will tonight when I get home and read the Glob.

Betchum the ad runs in other papers too...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:47 pm
I'm sure it will! It was kind of a shocker to me, it being run in the glob.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:59 pm
Could you copy and paste it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 03:31 pm
I checked online at the glob site and the preserve marriage site and didn't see it, but I'll look deeper when I get home.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:16 pm
hey....to each their own. If same sex relationships were the right way to live then none of us would be here because we wouldn't reproduce. So I am appauled by the idea that a man would want to sleep with a man and that a woman would want to sleep with a woman. But what they do in the bedroom doesnt affect how they raise children.
So, if a gay couple wants to raise a child I say go for it. That child was given up by their biological parents who didn't want them. I would rather see a child be raised by someone ( gay or straight) that loves them, than by someone who is abusive and has no intention of loving anyone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:29 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:
hey....to each their own. If same sex relationships were the right way to live then none of us would be here because we wouldn't reproduce. So I am appauled by the idea that a man would want to sleep with a man and that a woman would want to sleep with a woman. But what they do in the bedroom doesnt affect how they raise children.
So, if a gay couple wants to raise a child I say go for it. That child was given up by their biological parents who didn't want them. I would rather see a child be raised by someone ( gay or straight) that loves them, than by someone who is abusive and has no intention of loving anyone.

That's the ticket! :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:58 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:

That's a level of mental maturity I would not have attributed as among your capabilities. No whacko's or burning in the lake of fire? Or is that just saved for yours truly?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:44 pm
Phoenix, the page was an advertisement, so it's not on the glob site. It is also not anywhere on the right wing site.

I can give some highlights:

Quote:
Same-sex marriage advocates and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court are asking our state and nation to enter a massive, untested social experiment with coming generations of children.

Quote:
While the research comparing children in homosexual homes with those in heterosexual homes is inconclusive, here is what we do know. Research over the past 40 years repeatedly and clearly shows that when children are raised apart from their two, married, biological parents, they suffer in every important measure of well-being. Every child living in a same-sex home is, by definition, living apart from a complete set of biological parents.

They then go on to discuss various problems that kids raised by single mothers are more likely to have:
lower physical health
lower mental health
higher danger of physical abuse
lower school performance
lower self-confidence
lower compassion for others
lower respect for women
higher criminal behavior
higher sexual experimentation

So, they go from marriage legal for homosexuals, to children raised by homosexuals, to children not raised by both bio parents in the same house, to children raised without fathers. Then it concludes with:

Quote:
..... Forty years of research on fatherlessness concludes it is cruel and harmful to deprive children of fathers, and our hearts tell us it is cruel to deny children of their mothers. Same-sex marriage denies every child it touches one or the other-and it is wrong to subject children to this expirement simply to fulfill adult wishes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:49 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:

Shocked

Bravo!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:20 pm
I agree Calgon - way to go!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:53 pm
Ok, I'll start and tell you one more reason why I think this ad is stupid. First of all, people who are gay can and do adopt kids without being married.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 03:09 am
I also think it's absurd. As a single parent I can also say that my son is opposite to what their so call statistics show for children raised by single parents.

As long as children are raised in a loving home with no neglect or abuse, then who is anyone to judge who's doing the raising?

Stuff like this really ticks me off!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 06:08 am
Oh puhleeze- I don't take any of those wacko ravings seriously. Those homophobes throw everything but the kitchen sink into their arguments, so that people are drawn away from the central issue, that there is a group of people who hate gays, and would do anything in their power to marginalize them.

The problem is that some unsophisticated folks take these ramblings seriously! Sad
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 06:37 am
Unfortunately there seems to be enough of them around that they've got political clout. So whether they're whacko homophobes or not, and no matter how much they disgust you, they have to be dealt with.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 06:52 am
'k, taken to the logical extreme this group of concerned citizens would put you out of a job too...

Children should be raised by their (stay at home) mothers.

Right? (Extreme Right!)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 07:05 am
littlek wrote:
So, they go from marriage legal for homosexuals, to children raised by homosexuals, to children not raised by both bio parents in the same house, to children raised without fathers. Then it concludes with:

Quote:
..... Forty years of research on fatherlessness concludes it is cruel and harmful to deprive children of fathers, and our hearts tell us it is cruel to deny children of their mothers. Same-sex marriage denies every child it touches one or the other-and it is wrong to subject children to this expirement simply to fulfill adult wishes.

I haven't seen the ad myself but I can wager a good guess at why they linked all of this stuff together. The exact same logic (in reverse) was used by the MA Supreme Judicial Court when they handed down their decision on gay marriage a few months ago.

They (whomever they are..) took the Court's decision and reversed everything. The MA SJC concluded that there would be no impact on children if gay marriage is permitted. These people started with "facts" (or dreams/delusions/etc..) that children ARE hurt and then worked their way back up the chain.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:15 am
hmmmm, should go look at the MSJC ruling....
0 Replies