Is It a Correct Expression with Proper Logic?

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:54 am
"NASA's Mars Odyssey, also an orbiter, confirmed water ice at the north pole, along with dry ice ."
When I read this, I naturally thought that NASA has found ice water on Mars, because its Odyssey has "confirmed" that.
(But at the same time, I muttered to myself why rover Spirit has been managing to look for the trace of water on Mars)

Nevertheless, afterwards the writer said:"
Mars Express confirmed Odyssey's suspicions about the south pole."
OMG, what Odyssey found is just "suspicions"! So, why did the writer want to express the "suspicions" as "confirmed" thing?
I suspect the writer has used improper word.
What do you think about this?

(If the writer meant the suspicions were about the south pole, why does NASA want Spirit to look for the trace of water? It seems that doesn't hold water...)

Context:

Europe probe detects Mars water ice

Friday, January 23, 2004 Posted: 7:22 AM EST (1222 GMT)

CNN) -- The European orbiter Mars Express detected ice at the Red Planet's south pole, mission officials at Darmstadt, Germany, said Friday.

NASA's Mars Odyssey, also an orbiter, confirmed water ice at the north pole, along with dry ice -- frozen carbon dioxide -- in 2002. It picked up signs of hydrogen at the south pole, the first indication that water ice might be found there.

Mars Express confirmed Odyssey's suspicions about the south pole.

"We have already identified water vapor in the atmosphere," scientist Vittorio Formisano said. "We have identified water ice on the soil on the south polar caps."

Mars Express headed off for the fourth planet on June 2 specifically to look for water. It carried with it the European Space Agency's rover, Beagle 2, but that craft was never heard from after its expected Dec. 25 landing.

Express, however, attained its final operational orbit in the last week and has continued its scientific mission. Express made an unsuccessful attempt to contact Beagle 2 earlier this month when it passed near the rover's landing site.

Should "best-seller" be "best-selling"?

Context:
His publications include The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time (1973; coauthored with G.F.R. Ellis), Superspace and
Supergravity (1981), The Very Early Universe (1983), and the best-seller A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang
to Black Holes (1988).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 832 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:08 am
Oristar, What's your question? Is it about the word "suspicion"?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
Yeah, Roberta. The writer said initially:"NASA's Mars Odyssey, also an orbiter, confirmed water ice at the north pole, along with dry ice ."
Since it has been "confirmed", so there is no Odyssey's "suspicions" then. But heck, the writer said it once again:" Mars Express confirmed Odyssey's suspicions about the south pole." Logically, the writer should said:"
Mars Express reconfirmed Odyssey's suspicions about the south pole."

I think you might rebut it because NASA just said "NASA's Mars Odyssey, also an orbiter, confirmed water ice at the north pole".
But NASA's rover Spirit is looking for water on Mars. If you have read the news about Spirit, you might understand what I meant.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:24 pm
You are reading to many things into the article.

Break it down this way:

NASA's Mars Odyessey found water ice on Mar's North Pole. It also found indications that there was water ice at the South pole but couldn't confirm the indications so it had "suspicions".

Europe's Mars Express passed by Mar's South Pole was able to detect water ice and in doing so confirmed (proved correct) the suspicions raised by the Mars Odyessey.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 03:23 pm
...and no, best-seller is OK here. Best-selling is correct also...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:45 pm
Oristar, I agree with Fishin' and Wy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:47 pm
Hi All.

What Fishin said is perfect, with perfect logic. Why I wanted to come up with this question, is because I've been thinking why Spirit is desperately looking for water on Mars is that NASA has never confirmed there is any water on the red planet. Well, now the article clarified the truth...

Thank you. Very Happy

I suspect why Spirit is so eager to find out water is because an area where has water may have some traces of lives like simplest microbe. And this behavior doesn't mean NASA has never found water on Mars.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 03:15 am
See EPA news: for the first tme, Human finds there is water on the surface of Mars (NEWS SOHU.COM last updated at 21:59 Jan 23)
Link:
http://news.sohu.com/2004/01/23/60/news218746038.shtml

So I was not alone in such a misunderstanding, EPA(European Space Agency) is with me. Razz
0 Replies