what is the difference between these two prepositions

bubu

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 03:10 am
Hello!

I would like to know the difference between 'jumping across the fence' and 'jumping over the fence'

Is it non-grammatical/incorrect to use 'jumping across the fence'?

I googled it and found many a 'jump across the fence'

Thank you in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,451 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 03:22 am
There's no difference in meaning of which i am aware. Jumping over the fence would probably the more commonly used locution, but either one expresses the same idea.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 11:21 am
@bubu,
The phrase 'Jumping across the fence' is not likely to be used, though it's not grammatically incorrect to my knowledge. It's an awkward expression.

It is more common to say 'jumping over the fence'.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 03:29 pm

You can jump a fence, or jump over a fence.

You jump across a ditch.

I suppose, speaking generally, "across" signifies a length (or width), and "over" signifies a height.
JTT

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 08:38 pm
@bubu,
Quote:
Is it non-grammatical/incorrect to use 'jumping across the fence'?

Even completely nonsensical English can be fully grammatical, Bubu.

McTag has described this, as is his manner, beautifully. So, if he doesn`t mind, I`ll use his words to expand on a few ideas. (deep bow)

Perhaps because this is a relatively common action, over or no over works. It doesn`t with the same meaning, with, say, a policeman, a car, or for a cow doing its jumping with the moon.

You jump across a ditch.

I suppose, speaking generally, "across" signifies a length (or width), and "over" signifies a height.

Right, so (no, not Joe`s so) what comes to mind when across the fence is used is a fence lying on the ground or a steeplechase rider standing on the horse`s back, already above the fence and jumping across the top of a widened steeplechase obstacle.

As McTag has explained, that`s the feel of the word across. There may be situations where it isn`t always so (not Joe`s so either).
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 09:08 pm
@McTag,
Quote:

You jump across a ditch.

That would be my take on it, "Across" something usually indicates a horizontal distance of some sort while "over" indicates a height.
0 Replies