The archaic form of the word "exceeds"

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:33 pm
I think why the author has used "exceedeth" rather than "exceeds" is that it serves as a method of preventing possible plagiarism.

Do you agree with me?

Context:

Acknowledgments
This book is a compilation of a great many facts assembled together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle in an attempt to form a complete picture. Although facts are unalterable, they can be ...
Author's Preface
When a man's science exceedeth his sense, He perishes by his ignorance. Oriental proverb Viewed from space today, Planet Earth looks little ...
Foreword
by Professor John Wright About twenty years ago, Ross Horne, then a senior captain and instructor on jumbo jets with Qantas Airways, introduced to Australia the ideas of Nathan Pritikin, a ...

More:
http://chestofbooks.com/health/natural-cure/Ross-Horne/Health-and-Survival-in-the-21st-Century/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 565 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:47 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, this is apparently a translation of a oriental proverb, presumably from ancient times. I doubt it has anything at all to do with plagiarism. Old english is filled with thys, and thous and ths... I believe the translation is trying to use similar language from that time period.
oristarA

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Ori, this is apparently a translation of a oriental proverb, presumably from ancient times. I doubt it has anything at all to do with plagiarism. Old english is filled with thys, and thous and ths... I believe the translation is trying to use similar language from that time period.

Cool!
Thank you.
0 Replies