where are the children and with whom?

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 07:13 am
Encouraging mothers of young children to find jobs is another good thing:it benefits both them and the family budget. But if it means their children are dumped in front of the telly at a cheap childminder, the kids may be worse off than if they were at home with mum.

Case1: single mother hire a cheap childminder to come over her house to look after her child, but the childminder just let the child watch TV all the days.
Case2: single mother send her child to a childminder's house but the childminder just let the child watch TV all the days

witch one is true? or what is the truth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 708 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 07:53 am
@benjamin liang,
Encouraging mothers of young children to find jobs is another good thing: it benefits both them and the family budget. But if it means their children are dumped in front of the telly at a cheap childminder, the kids may be worse off than if they were at home with mum.

Quote:
Case1: single mother hire a cheap childminder to come over her house to look after her child, but the childminder just let the child watch TV all the days.

OK, first, the English in your sentence: A single mother hires a childminder to come over to her house to look after her child, but the childminder just lets the child watch television all day. You need the indefinite article at the beginning of the sentence, the third person singular of those verbs needs an "s" at the end of the verb form. You also needed the preposition "to" before "her house."

Now, the substance is largely correct, but the original reads: ". . . their children are dumped in front of the telly at a cheap childminder . . ." The preposition "at" means that she takes her child to the childminder's house, the childminder does not come to her house. Apart from that, you've got the sense of it correct. So, this:

Quote:
Case2: single mother sends her child to a childminder's house but the childminder just lets the child watch TV all day.

is the correct statement of the case, with the corrections of the verb forms for third person singular. I have also changed " . . . all the days" to " . . . all day," because "all the days" would imply forever. For example, the biblical scripture, Psalms, Chapter 23, verse 6 reads: Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.--and "all the days of my life" means for the speaker's entire lifetime. The expression "all day" is quite common, and means for most or all of the day in question.

So case 2 is the correct intepretation.

Finally: witch one is true? or what is the truth?

"Witch" means a woman who practices sorcery, or is accused of practicing sorcery. The word you wanted was "which," and the most common way to write your question would be: Which one is correct? A native English speaker would probably use "correct" to mean which one is the proper interpretation based on the English language content. A native English spealer would probably not use the word "true," because that changes the question to one of whether or not a childminder would simply dump the child in front of the television all day, which is not the question you were asking.

If i haven't explained this to you in a manner you can clearly understand, ask me to clarify any part of it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:59 am
@benjamin liang,
Not all caretakers of children - plop them in front of a TV. This is way too generalizing. Many actually play with and engage them.

And a mom of a child could do the same thing. You can have a bad mom as well as a bad caretaker.

You could always take the TV out of the house, thus eliminating the potential to plop them in front of the tv.
Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:06 am
@Linkat,
The point of the question shot right over your head, didn't it?
0 Replies

benjamin liang

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:47 pm
@Linkat,
thank you so much! My classmates and i talk about the "at" all day and now we have a correct answer.
0 Replies