Do they have the same meaning?

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:36 am

Monkey First Tries to Borrow the Plantain Fan = Monkey Tries to Borrow the Plantain Fan for the First Time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 925 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:24 am
Not necessarily, and there just isn't enough context. The structure of the first phrase stongly suggests an idiom in which" first" means an initial action or idea: I first tried to contact them by telephone; but i got no answer, so i went down to theiroffices in person to get an explanation. The expression structured this way intends to emphasize that that was your initial idea or action, before you took a different action or idea. I first thought that there had been a mistake in the report, but upon closer investigation learned that there had to be another explanation, because the report was correct.

But without more context, i can't be certain that this is what was intended.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:31 am
By the way, i'm not saying your offering is incorrect, simply that it's not the only possible interpretation.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:34 am
Maybe the monkey tried to borrow the fan first, then - that not working - decided to just grab it.

Sounds like it is decribing a sequence of behavior, but without more context, we just can't tell.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 09:52 am
The original work is in Chinese, which says Monky tries to borrow the fan first time, then second time, then third time.

So your replies have given me the impression that the translation is not accurate enough.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:46 pm
Monkey King tried to borrow the fan for the first time, for the second time, and the third time he succeeded.

Quote:
The Tang Priest and his three disciples, Monkey King (Wukong), Pig and Friar Sand, were heading towards the Western Heaven. Gradually they began to feel hotter and hotter in the warm air. It was very strange, because it was autumn. Later they learnt that the Fiery Mountains were just ahead of them. The mountains had a circumference of 800 li, on which not a blade of grass could grow.

A young man selling cakes told them that it was not possible to cross the mountains without a special plantain fan which could only be borrowed from Princess Iron Fan.

After having made arrangements for his master, Monkey King left for the Plantain Cave to see Princess Iron Fan. The princess was the wife of the Bull Demon King and the Red Boy's mother. Some time ago, Red Boy had tried to eat the Tang Priest and Monkey King had subdued him. Hence Princess Iron Fan hated Monkey King and refused to lend the fan to him. Instead she blew Monkey King right out of sight with a single wave of her plantain fan.

Bodhisattva Lingji heard about this and gave Monkey King a Wind-Fixing Pill.

Monkey King came to borrow the magic fan for the second time. With the Wind-Fixing Pill in his mouth, Monkey King could not be moved no matter how hard the princess waved the fan. The princess hurried back to the cave and had the doors closed tightly. However, Monkey King turned himself into an insect and got into the princess belly when she was drinking tea. The princess could not stand the pain, so that she agreed to lend the fan to Monkey, but she actually gave him a false one.

The third time Monkey King came for the fan he decided to turn himself into the Bull Demon King. He got the fan. Upon hearing of this trickery, the Bull Demon King came hurriedly chasing after Monkey. They engaged in a fierce struggle. Soon Pig and Friar Sand came to Monkey's help and forced the Bull Demon King to show his true colors. With the plantain fan, Monkey King put out the fire. The master and his three disciples continued their journey to the West to fetch scriptures.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:54 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
Monkey First Tries to Borrow the Plantain Fan = Monkey Tries to Borrow the Plantain Fan for the First Time?

Not quite the same meaning.
The second one is the one you want.
The first one suggests a sequence of other actions by the monkey will follow.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:53 pm
@oristarA,
Based on the context provided by contrex, I would suggest a third choice

The first time Monkey tries to borrow the Plaintain Fan...
0 Replies