How about This Writing?

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:34 am
(Not written by me)

At lunchtime, the dramatic, perforated steel staircase leading down to the Mercer Kitchen seems like little more than a conveyance system for $200 jeans. Designer denim may, in fact, outweigh table linen in the subterranean SoHo dining room, and at 1 p.m. on the first bitterly cold day of the season, that denim is variously caressing, garroting or hanging off a descending squadron of long, serious legs: flared cuffs over vertiginous heels (uptown girls); a streak of skintight denim stuffed into grubby vintage Vivienne Westwood boots (models), and then, at last, a pair of overly long, faded jeans and chunky Timberlands-hardly the teetering Manolo version favored by Jennifer Lopez, and just a bit too outdoorsy, frankly, for any New York glamour-puss-that could only signal the arrival of Cameron Diaz.

And as if to obliterate any doubt, as soon as those legs appear in all their rangy glory, Diaz loses her balance and skids, audibly, down a step or two. She grabs a rail, shakes her shiny ponytail and projects that klieg smile into the vast grotto of the restaurant.

The writing seems like that of film script, at least I didn't get what is:
(1) chunky Timberlands
(2)the teetering Manolo version
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 618 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:42 am
Dunno where it's from but it seems a certain candidate for Pseud's Corner.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:25 am
Manalo Blahnik is a shoe maker, who makes very high-heeled, very fashionable shoes. The shoes are often referred to as "Manalos". Timberland is a shoe company that makes a kind of a work boot that became popular/ fashionable. It has a certain identifiable "look" -- light tan leather with a dark brown band at the top, and lacing.

While I don't know for a fact, I'd take from that passage ("hardly the teetering Manolo version favored by Jennifer Lopez") that Manalo Blahnik made a high-heeled shoe that uses the Timberland "look" -- high-heeled but made from tan leather, with a brown band at the top, and lacing. Jennifer Lopez has worn this version, but Cameron Diaz was wearing the regular workboot version. ("Clunky" means big, ungraceful, makes a loud noise when you walk in them.)

This seems to be some sort of gossip/ society column, talking about the entrance of Cameron Diaz (an actress, known for her quirky fashion sense) into some fancy restaurant called the Mercer Kitchen.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:18 am
Hi Sozobe, thanks for your explanation. Very Happy
Also thanks to laptoploon.
0 Replies