@ossobuco,
gelato makes me fart.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:29 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

jcboy wrote:

I enjoy going to the gym and working out, I always try to eat the rights foods. Once I picked up fat free ice cream and I’ll never do that again, gross!

I injured my back AND neck permanently awhile back and now I'm only able to work out sporadically. I do the best I can and I know it's good for the blood sugar, cholesterol and well being period. I used to work out almost every day and ride my bike 100 miles a week. Now I feel like 150 lbs. (up from 138) of mushy **** in a 100 lb. bag. I hate it, but as an uninsured scumbag I can't afford to buy insulin and glaucoma meds AND pay for physical therapy and I guess being out of shape and alive beats working out and leaving a good looking corpse, although I'm beginning to wonder.

With glaucoma and diabetes, you really need to get some sort of insurance plan.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:19 am
@Miller,
With glaucoma and diabetes, insurance is really, really expensive.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:19 am
Concerning the artificial sugar thing. My father has been part of few studies (thus the Dreamfields thing) and he was told to avoid all artificial sweeteners except stevia. Apparently, these sweeteners effect some diabetics in a negative way. I don't think everyone in the study had the same reaction, but his was pretty bad. He's fine with fat, but I know he only eats real fat. No margarine or hydrogenated oils. He's thin.

Roger, all health insurance companies are greedy scum who would prefer if you get sick that you just die and spare them any expense. My father has what would be considered some of the best coverage (he pays a fortune) and we do nothing but fight with them over what they will and will not pay for, especially concerning his diabetes. He's had the same company for years without putting in any claims, but once he got sick they became like a rapid dog willing to kill for a scrap of bacon. He says he's not going to die until he gets his moneys worth from them.
NSFW (view)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:40 pm
@Green Witch,
There's some good motivation!

My parents spent a lot of time insurance poor and then couldn't keep it up when they needed it. Long painful story. I've been somewhat the same, but made it to my medicare years still standing if wobbly re any supplementation, thus, of course, vulnerable.

Hiss.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't have diabetes in my immediate family but was cautioned recently to "watch it" because my numbers were getting a bit high, almost pre-diabetes level. Wow. So, I told her I would quit the sugar as entirely as I can before the next blood test. Of course, I'm not doing as well as I should.

That's correct about the skim milk not being taken into the body without butterfat. When I worked for the doctor back in 1970s it was routine for them to tell all the new mothers to put their infants on skim milk. Gads. Wonder what that caused! It was also commonplace to give most all women birth control pills, then water pills, then Valium, as one pill causes another symptom. The 1970s was also the time when doctors gave Rx over the phone, and the patient taking the pill only until they felt better. We know what happened there.

Pemerson

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:07 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Good grief! That's cruel, blue. Merde!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:29 pm
@Pemerson,
I would give a lot to be "almost pre-diabetes level. Still, you should probably be aware that sugar isn't the only (or even the biggest) problem. Starches, which are almost defined by the term "white vegetables" can be a bigger worry. White vegetables are stuff like potatoes, rice, and bread. Bread is a vegetable if you have the right frame of mind.
Pemerson

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:36 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger. Yeah, I'm aware that I'm being stupid. I should get another test, a few books or something.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:41 pm
@Pemerson,
Gretchen Becker's The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes is a good one, by the way, and more readable than most.

In your case, I'm not sure I would be concerned enough to order it. I know, it's never good advice to tell someone not to worry, but sometimes I just lose control.
0 Replies