Discuss: The OWS Movement will hurt/help the Democrats in 2012.

Irishk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 04:22 pm
@roger,
I think she was born and raised in Oklahoma City. Probably a few hicks there, too, but you did NOT hear that from me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 04:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
So let me get this straight: the tea baggers made good on their threats not to vote for Republicans by voting for other Republicans? You'll have to explain that one to me.

Oh, I think you understand it just fine.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 06:00 pm
One thing that you may not realize from seeing the media coverage is that the OWS people have a core group of about 150-200, but there are literally thousands of other people who show up and attend meetings and wave signs and sit and discuss and smooze for a few hours a couple of times a week.

Then they go home.

If you did a census of everyone in the Park on Sunday, I would wager that 80% would be different when you surveyed again on Tuesday.

This is a dynamic group.

For example, some people had some anti-Israel anti-Jew posters last Saturday. OH MY! So, today when the media showed up to look for the Jew-haters they found a population celebrating the last of Jewish Holidays .... meh.

You cannot can this movement.

Joe(it's elastic)Nation
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 06:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
So let me get this straight: the tea baggers made good on their threats not to vote for Republicans by voting for other Republicans? You'll have to explain that one to me.

Oh, I think you understand it just fine.

Yeah, I understood it to mean that you're confused. I see that I was right.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 06:46 pm
@Joe Nation,
I don't know how this one is going to pan out, but I do remember nimh and Anastasia marching with a really far right wing movement in Hungary. If anyone was counting demonstrators, they may have counted two supportors that weren't.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yeah...that's just what I meant.

No getting the better of you in a snappy exchange Joe!
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 06:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm glad we agree.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 06:34 am

It's interesting how these small groups of libtards trash every place they occupy and it's been reported that they have begun stealing from each other. The press and the regime are attempting to make these libtards look as sophisticated and organized as the T.E.A. Party... it's not working. America sees this for what it is and it's not appreciated.
revelette

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 06:52 am
@H2O MAN,

New Yorkers Back Occupy Wall Street Protesters, Poll Shows

Quote:
Oct. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Occupy Wall Street, the protest that has spread from Lower Manhattan to as far as Rome and Hong Kong, is supported by most New Yorkers, according to a Quinnipiac University survey.

Sixty-seven percent of New York City voters said they agree with the protesters’ views, while 23 percent don’t, the school’s Polling Institute said today. Support ranged from 81 percent among registered Democrats to 58 percent among independents and 35 percent from Republicans. By 72 percent to 24 percent, voters said law-abiding demonstrators can stay as long as they want.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 06:58 am
Commander Who Pepper-Sprayed Protesters Faces Disciplinary Charge

Quote:
A New York police commander who pepper-sprayed protesters during the opening days of the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations last month faces an internal disciplinary charge that could cost him 10 vacation days, the police said Tuesday.

The commander, Deputy Inspector Anthony Bologna, has been given a so-called command discipline, according to a law enforcement official. Officials said investigators found that the inspector ran afoul of Police Department rules for the use of the spray. The department’s patrol guide, its policy manual, says pepper spray should be used primarily to control a suspect who is resisting arrest, or for protection; it does allow for its use in “disorder control,” but only by officers with special training.

The Internal Affairs Bureau reviewed the episode and found that Inspector Bologna “used pepper spray outside departmental guidelines,” said Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman. He declined to elaborate.

I am in support of this movement, however, I think the longer it drags on, it will hurt the democrats in 2012 if only because as Obama is the one in office, the blame for economic disparity will also spread to him and really anyone else in Washington.
squinney

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:36 am
@revelette,
Wow! So, the officer that misused his pepper spray will lose 10 vacation days. That's 10 more days this year that an officer that doesn't know how to use his arsenal appropriately will be on the streets with his weapons having to work through his vacation days, which won't make too pissed off to think rationally, right? What a ridiculous reprimand!

As to OWS and its possible 2012 election influence, I think it will bring more people out to vote if it is able to maintain speed. If it comes down to a Republican / Democrat choice, I think Obama will win. The entire movement, and its vast support, is against the Romney type politician who represents big banks over people/ wall street/ firing people to profit outlandishly from the purchase of companies/ pushing for banks to speed up the foreclosure process/ no heart/ ... That's what OWS is about. They (we) aren't going to vote for a Romney or anyone like him.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:52 am
@squinney,
Im not knocking your opinion, but I wonder how all those republicans got elected to the house. Besides everyone knows that its all Obamas fault. After all he passes all the laws not congress.
Irishk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:57 am
http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/index.php
squinney

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:46 am
@RABEL222,
All those Republicans got elected to the House because we all have microwaves. We want our economy to improve by the time the microwave 'dings' saying that our supper is ready.

We have short memories and only pay attention to what has happened in the most recent 3-6 months.

Example #1: We had been through eight years of Bush, the last two years of which Dems controlled the House and Senate. People bought the line that because Dems controlled the House and Senate for two years, the Dems were to blame for the economy and the national debt the Tea Party was yelling about. People totally forgot that Republicans had control for the 6 years before that, started wars, cut taxes that would have decreased the debt, and even that Bin Laden was still out there somewhere.

Example #2: Does anyone else remember Clinton handing over a surplus when he left office? Within a VERY short time, like about the time GWB was named the Republican nominee, certain people (Fed Reserve Chair and others) started saying that wiping out the debt would actually be a bad thing. Ten years later, during the last election, when we are way deeper in debt than ever before, the Tea Party and Republicans rally the nation into believing we need to wipe out the debt by electing Republicans!

That's why I say Dems will benefit and Obama would win IF it's between him and Romney and OWS stays in the news as a positive force for change. Again, people only pay attention to what is happening in the very recent past (6 months, if that?), so the President and OWS has to stay on topic - JOBS! If they do, what will be at the front of the public's minds next November will be the Republicans obstructing jobs bill after jobs bill (if the Dems continue to bring it up in the Senate) and OWS if they stay on topic and continue to grow.

roger

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:52 pm
@squinney,
I'm not convinced that keeping the focus on jobs is really in Obama's best interest. Nor is the economy, in my opinion.

Good to see your smiling face, anyway.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:00 pm
@Irishk,
Thanks for link.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:08 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm not convinced that keeping the focus on jobs is really in Obama's best interest. Nor is the economy, in my opinion.

Good to see your smiling face, anyway.

It's only in his interest if he and the DNC can successfully blame the Republicans for the failure for the economy to improve, or for jobs to return. Fortunately, the GOP seems determined to help him as much as possible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@roger,
But he has his headcount list on which to run.

It's getting pretty impressive.

I think they should make the Predator Drone the Time's Man of The Year.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:19 pm
It's very hard to make reliable forecasts on the net effect on the contending parties of something like the ongoing OWS protest. It's a safe assumption that those already in sympathy with the protesters might be reinforced in their belief, just as those already opposed will be reinforced in theirs. It's also a safe assumption that both sides are mischaracterizing the positions and actions of the contending parties to favor their own interpretations.

Thus Republicans see the causes of the unusually slow recovery from a cyclic recession as a consequence of the evident hostility of the administration to private sector business, the flood of new restrictive regulations it has created on a wide range of issues affecting business, and wasteful public deficit spending. For their part, Democrats see it as a consequence of reduced demand, growing wage disparity and greed on the part of the wealthy. All of these elements (and others) contribute to the problem in one way or the other, but how one ranks them and which he/she sees as fundamental varies with one's general perspective.

I believe the issue will depend primarily on the cumulative effect of the last three years on the attitudes of uncommitted or "middle of the spectrum" voters. Here I believe the spectre of the still unresolved (indeed still growing) financial crisis in Europe - the model social welfare states our Progressives so ardently wish us to imitate - could well prove decisive in turning independent voters away from Obama and the Democrats. The occupiers of the Park in lower Manhattan (though they have so far avoided violence) conjure up images of French and Greek protesters, unwilling to accept the obvious consequences of the unpaid for largesse of their previous left wing governments. The situation there is still getting more dangerous as the financial contaigon gets ever closer to France, Spain and Italy, and that aspect of the problem will likely continue to influence the views of uncommitted voters in the months ahead.

Finally it is noteworthy that poll results confirm that Obama has already lost most of the widespread support of uncommitted voters he enjoyed in the last election. The hope for change he kindled then has become instead dread for what will happen next. This is an ominous indicator for a first Term President.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 09:43 pm
Quote:
Occupy Wall Street’s chief value to Obama is that it gives him a powerful and timely framework for what he would be doing and saying anyway: trying to pass his American Jobs Act or at least pieces of it, touting his new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and warning of GOP plans to repeal not just health care reform but the new financial reform law aimed at keeping Wall Street from crashing the economy again.

The movement defines itself as “fighting back against the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process, and the role of Wall Street in creating an economic collapse that has caused the greatest recession in generations.” Obama is putting more emphasis on the latter, but he also regularly bashes lobbyists and special interests. He often says he understands the frustrations behind Occupy Wall Street. One of his spokesmen, Josh Earnest, even used the signature movement phrase “the 99 percent” the other day, a reference to the non-wealthy.

The shift in tone from Obama the consensus-builder is rather stark. One doctor has diagnosed the president with “obsessive bipartisan disorder.” Even Obama cops to a bit of that. “I’ve tried so hard to cooperate with Republicans, Democrats have been getting mad at me,” he said on his trip to North Carolina.

So far, Obama is staying in what Democratic strategist Geoff Garin calls “his own parallel lane” that does not “overly intersect with the protest movement itself.” That makes political sense, given the uncertainties surrounding the direction of Occupy Wall Street and also the nature of this particular protest. The idea of occupation is vivid and evocative, but it’s also impractical. Who can devote day after day, week after week, to camping out in downtown Manhattan or any other “occupied” patch of territory in America? Certainly not most of the 99 percent, who are juggling kids and jobs and all the other life demands made so much more difficult by recession and flat or falling wages.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/22/obama-s-delicate-relationship-with-wall-street-going-into-the-2012-election.html

0 Replies