growth = ?

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:40 pm

Context:
The Duke researchers synthesized gold, rod-shaped nanoparticles with varying length-to-width ratios. The different-sized particles displayed different optical properties, so by controlling the nanorods' growth the team could "tune" the particles to scatter a specific frequency of light. The researchers next joined the tuned particles to antibodies that bind to growth factor receptor proteins found in unusually high concentrations on the outside of cancer cells. When the antibodies latched on to cancer cells, the gold nanoparticles marked their presence.
More:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111012113559.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 467 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 06:30 pm
@oristarA,
I'd say increase in size or number, likely the latter.
epenthesis

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 06:37 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
rod-shaped nanoparticles with varying length-to-width ratios ... by controlling the nanorods' growth

I construe growth to mean the dimensions, size, length-to-width in that context.
oristarA

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:27 pm
@epenthesis,
epenthesis wrote:

Quote:
rod-shaped nanoparticles with varying length-to-width ratios ... by controlling the nanorods' growth

I construe growth to mean the dimensions, size, length-to-width in that context.

Thank you.
That is an unusual usage. No entry from such definition of the word.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I'd say increase in size or number, likely the latter.

Can gold particle increase itself? It's an inorganic matter, unable to grow anyways.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:19 am
I suggest that little attention is paid to the epenthesis person, here and elsewhere. Either his knowledge of English is not as great as he thinks it is, or he is deliberately trolling.

epenthesis

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 01:14 am
@contrex,
Quote:
different-sized particles

I think you'll find it's the control of growth in the size of the particles, as I mentioned, unless you can offer a better literal interpretation
0 Replies