• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,445 • Replies: 25
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
Quote:
Getting too little sleep creates a "sleep debt," which is much like being overdrawn at a bank. Eventually, your body will demand that the debt be repaid. We don't seem to adapt to getting less sleep than we need; while we may get used to a sleep-depriving schedule, our judgment, reaction time, and other functions are still impaired.

People tend to sleep more lightly and for shorter time spans as they get older, although they generally need about the same amount of sleep as they needed in early adulthood.

About half of all people over 65 have frequent sleeping problems, such as insomnia, and deep sleep stages in many elderly people often become very short or stop completely. This change may be a normal part of aging, or it may result from medical problems that are common in elderly people and from the medications and other treatments for those problems.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:19 pm
I generally sleep between 5 and 7 hours. Lots of factors influence this. 90% of the time I arise before the alarm. (work, stress, and physical activity) If I do run a sleep debt I must fix it is a 5 to 7 days it seems.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:21 pm
I get at least 8 hours, and sometimes more, per night. I am still sleepy during mos afternoons, I fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow, I cat nap during the day. Those are symptoms of someone with a sleep disorder. How can that be?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:22 pm
DO you exercise?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:25 pm
Not much.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:28 pm
Apnea. Prolly get real better if I lose about 20#... so would a lot of other stuff.
Exercise? Don't be silly! It's cold outside.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 04:40 pm
You're not exactly over-weight, SP. Scary, that sleep apnea.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:02 pm
Thanks dear... but in truth, I am... (20#... not 40#)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:03 pm
Have you gained weight since the last time I saw you?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:01 am
I usually sleep about 7 or 8 hours and sometimes take a short nap during the day.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:29 am
5 from the holidays/storing up for the winter... I carry it well, but then you've never seen me nekkid...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:52 am
SealPoet- I have sleep apnea, and use a C-Pap machine. It really makes a difference. If I lost some more weight it would help too.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:21 am
Normally terrible.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:12 am
Phoenix: I've spoken about the C-PAP before...

I tried it. After I got used to being tethered (look, it's the Elephant Man!) I slept passing well...

...until I started waking up in the middle of the night with a belly full of air! Painful!

I know that the pressure could be adjusted down, but I don't think I could 'face' the mask again. Since then I've had my uvula and some of my soft palate removed. Helps some, especially helps with snoring. Recently we've been working on allergies. Need to vacuum much more frequently... and that's supposed to be my job, dammit! (Well, it is easier now that we've finally gotten outlets in the bedroom...)
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
Rolling Eyes not good!!!
by 10pm I am exhausted but can never seem to relax enough to fall asleep. I admit I am stressed all the time and can never relax anyway.
I usually finally fall asleep around 1am and then get up around 8am. This has been going on since last summer of 2003, almost a year now. So I can imagine how much sleep I have actually lost in a year... Shocked
my mother suggests tylenolPM....any other suggestions?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:06 am
About 8 hours a night...no problems.

Except when I dream about the horror that is women drivers.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
About 8 hours a night...no problems.

Except when I dream about the horror that is women drivers.

Especially the ones driving SUVs! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Adamanta

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:52 pm
lost_my_calgon wrote:
Rolling Eyes not good!!!
by 10pm I am exhausted but can never seem to relax enough to fall asleep. I admit I am stressed all the time and can never relax anyway.
I usually finally fall asleep around 1am and then get up around 8am. This has been going on since last summer of 2003, almost a year now. So I can imagine how much sleep I have actually lost in a year... Shocked
my mother suggests tylenolPM....any other suggestions?

My mother was told to take Benedryl as it is non-habit forming. Just take it about an hour before you wish to fall asleep and make sure you can get a good 6 or 7 hours so you don't wake up groggy. I have used it during really stressful times where I was having alot of trouble getting to sleep and it really helped. There are other things that I do when its not too bad such as reading on my stomach until I am about to pass out so all I have to do is turn off the light.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:36 am
I haven't had a good nights sleep in years.
0 Replies