Lay-see and Ang-pow

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 07:54 am
(1) What is "lay-see"?

Happy Chinese New Year to all those appropriate, hope y'all get lots of "lay-see" (those red-envelope things with money. Wish I was in HK for the celebrations this year, I'd be getting lots of "lay-see"

(2) What is "ang-pow"?

Happy Chinese New Year to all who celebrate it and hope you all get lots of ang-pow
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 16
No top replies

annifa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:44 am
Seeing as u incessantly post questions asking people to correct your English could i just say that "Make it come natural if doing it" makes no sense.
Maybe "If it comes naturally, do it", or "Do it if it comes naturally"..? Im not even sure if thats what your trying to say.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:51 am
annifa- I believe that English is not Oristar's native tongue. I think that it is great that he is really working at improving his English!
0 Replies

chaossoldiermsc

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:01 am
as to your second question, an ang-pow is a red packet with money. it is given from the married elders in the family to the children. for the first... so embarrasing. i'm chinese but i do not know.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:04 am
Indeed.. being the incredibly sensible and helpful person that i am *ahem* i think my post was relevant.
Absolutely spiffing old chum.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:16 am
Ah thanks annifa, I'd appreciate your opinion.
Also thanks to Phoenix for encouraging me.

@ chaossoldiermsc,

Thanks for reply. But what I wanted to know is that if native English speakers could understand that. It seems they could not catch them at sight.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:15 am
Happy Chinese New Year to you and lots of little red envelopes!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:43 am
Thanks Vivien. Very Happy
Happy to you, too.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:49 pm
What year is it in the chinese zodiak?
Happy New Year oristar....I hope all that red money makes for a great new year?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:26 am
Happy New Year, Oristar. I wish you a wonderful, happy, healthy new year.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:40 am
It's the year of the monkey!

There is a very large Chinese community in Toronto. Quite a few employers in the north end of the city are closed today for celebration.

http://www.google.ca/logos/lunarnewyear04.gif

(i love that google does this sort of special day thing)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:41 am
Kung Hei Fat Choi

(Prosperity to all)!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:45 am
If you're interested, this site has some nice info ... http://www.torontocelebrates.com/04/sponsors/history/

Quote:
The eve of the New Year is perhaps the most exciting part of the holiday, due to the anticipation. Here, traditions and rituals are very carefully observed in everything from food to clothing. Dinner is usually a feast of seafood and dumplings, signifying different good wishes. Delicacies include prawns, for liveliness and happiness, dried oysters (or ho xi), for all things good, fish dishes (or Yau-Yu) to bring good luck and prosperity, Fai-chai, an edible hair-like seaweed, to bring prosperity, and dumplings boiled in water (Jiaozi) signifying a long-lost good wish for a family. It is customary to wear something red as this colour is meant to ward off evil spirits - but black and white are frowned upon, not worn, as these are associated with mourning. At midnight, fireworks light up the sky.

If you were to go to one of Toronto's Chinatown areas (there are 5 or 6 separate Chinatown's here), you would find the dragon dancers going up and down the streets and into restaurants - bringing them good luck for the new year.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:47 am
I'm a fire rooster so this year I'm to make sure I don't have too many boyfriends or girlfriends.

the Chinese horoscope page
http://www.torontocelebrates.com/04/horoscopes/
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
I've read of the red packets with money, but the words lay-see and ang-pow are unfamiliar. What do they mean (what's the difference between them)? Don't the red envelopes mean hopes for a prosperous year for the recipient?

And lots of ang-pow to you, OristarA!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:23 am
from another forum

Quote:
The Lay See is a Chinese tradition where if you are married, you give to children and those who ARE NOT married.
It is a great joke to everyone and maybe a subtle way for people to gently nudge confirmed batchelors from being too comfortable about being batchelors to get off their butts and woo the ladies.
Yes, the Lay See is given to everyone and anyone, as he who gives much will receive much in return.
As a general practice, here in Malaysia, the smallest Lay See is a RM1.00 one dollar coin.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:27 am
Southwest Airlines ( ! ) has a great page on Chinese Lunar New Year's traditions.

http://www.chineseparade.com/history/stories/traditions.asp

I'm just browsing their links - wonderful stuff!
Ahhhhhhh, now I get it - the San Francisco connection.
<nods>
0 Replies