On the tummy and on the back

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 05:11 am
I didn't get very well about the English depiction of positions. Does "flat on the tummy" mean the position like the pic?
http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/cp/fte/sleepposition/i/sleepposition135.jpg

TIA

Context:
The six basic sleeping positions and the personality traits:

Sleep Position No. 1: Crouched in the fetal position: Shy and sensitive

Sleep Position No. 2: Soldier position flat on the back with arms at the sides: Quiet and reserved

Sleep Position No. 3: On the side with legs outstretched and arms down: Social and easy-going

Sleep Position No. 4: On the side with legs outstretched and arms outstretched: Suspicious

Sleep Position No. 5: Flat on the tummy with hands at the sides of the head: Brash and gregarious

Sleep Position No. 6: On the back with outstretched arms and legs: Unassuming and a good listener
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:08 am
yes, it does Oristar A.

How do you sleep? Lol!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:19 am
Thanks dlowan. Very Happy

PS.

Context:
Falun Gong Found Blasts Chinese Crackdown

(1) What does "found" mean here?

(2) Does "blast" mean "curse upon"?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:29 am
1. I m puzzled by this.

2. Blasts I think, means:
8. to censure or criticize vigorously; denounce: In his campaign speech he really blasts the other party.

(Here are the meanings of blast as a verb:

?v.t.
1. to make a loud noise on; blow (a trumpet, automobile horn, etc.): He blasted his horn irritably at every car in his way.
2. to cause to shrivel or wither; blight.
3. to affect with any pernicious influence; ruin; destroy: Failure in the exam blasted her hopes for college. It was an indiscretion that blasted his good reputation.
4. to break up or dislodge (a tree stump, rock, etc.): Their explosives were inadequate to blast the granite.
5. to make, form, open up, etc., by blasting: to blast a tunnel through a mountain.
6. to show to be false, unreliable, etc.; discredit: His facts soundly blasted the new evidence.
7. Informal.to curse; damn (usually fol. by it or an object): Blast it, there's the phone again! Blast the time, we've got to finish this work.
8. to censure or criticize vigorously; denounce: In his campaign speech he really blasts the other party.
9. to hit or propel with great force: He blasted a homer that tied the game. They were blasted into outer space.
10. to shoot: The terrorists blasted him down.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:12 am
Hi dlowan, here is the article: Very Happy

(I doubt it was a misspelling of "founder")

Falun Gong Found Blasts Chinese Crackdown

By MIN LEE

HONG KONG (AP) - Falun Gong founder Li Hongzhi attacked China's deadly crackdown on the meditation group, claiming in a rare television appearance Wednesday that it was rooted in Beijing's ``jealousy'' over Falun Gong's mass following.

Taking aim at former Chinese President Jiang Zemin, Li said the campaign against Falun Gong was ordered by ``the most evil person in China,'' although he did not mention Jiang by name.

``People who care about power don't care about people suffering,'' Li said in an interview with a New York-based TV outlet that appears to have close ties to Falun Gong. ``The Chinese leaders couldn't tolerate so many people practicing Falun Gong. It's a form of jealousy. This jealousy led to the oppression.''

In response, China renewed its denunciation of Li as ``a criminal'' who must be stopped.

``Falun Gong is a cult. Li Hongzhi is the head of the cult, and he is a criminal who is wanted by Chinese public security,'' the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.

Falun Gong claims hundreds of its mainland followers have been killed in police custody, although China denies abusing any of them.

The group attracted millions of practitioners with a mix of slow-motion exercises and teachings drawn from Buddhism, Taoism and Li's doctrines.

Li, a former mainland grain bureau clerk who now lives in the United States, rarely makes public appearances.

Many Falun Gong followers were seeing Li for the first time.

``I'm very happy to see my teacher. He looks very benevolent,'' said Yeung Sau-ling, a 40-year-old woman who has followed the movement for more than four years.

Li's interview appeared on the New Tang Dynasty Television station and was monitored in Hong Kong via satellite by local Falun Gong followers, who let an Associated Press reporter watch it.

Hong Kong-based Falun Gong spokesman Kan Hung-cheung said the station is independent. But some Falun Gong followers are affiliated with the station, and a message on its Web site says ``the issue of Falun Gong will help to unite the Chinese people all over the world with a bond of peace and freedom.''

Mainland authorities have banned Falun Gong as an ``evil cult'' and have worked to eradicate the group. But it remains legal in Hong Kong, which continues to enjoy Western-style civil liberties.

China outlawed Falun Gong as a threat to communist rule in 1999.

``The Chinese government's legal ban on Falun Gong is intended to protect the basic human rights and freedom of the Chinese system and to uphold its constitution and laws,'' the Foreign Ministry said. ``This decision has the support of people all over the country, and has also won more and more understanding and support from the international community.''

Li disputed contentions that Falun Gong was a threat to China's political system.

``We take power very lightly,'' Li said. ``We never wanted to seize power from the communist government. We just wanted to keep practicing according to our spiritual beliefs.''

01/21/04 05:41
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
I suspect it WAS a mis-spelling of founder, OristarA.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 02:48 pm
Oristar, in French, doubter means to suspect. But in English, doubt means to suspect that something is not the case. I think you meant what the Wabbit wrote--you suspect it was a misspelling.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:52 pm
dlowan, Setanta didn't want to offer his opinion on the fishy "found", but I dare to bet now it is the mis-spelling of founder. Very Happy

Setanta, thanks, but in AHD there is a definition indcating "Doubt: To suspect; fear." So maybe it worked in my sentence?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:35 pm
Hi OristarA,
"Doubt," idiomatically, only has a negative connotation. So 'I doubt it was a misspelling of "founder" ' means "I don't think it was a misspelling...".

"I don't doubt it" means "I have no reason to believe it's not true."

And you're right -- "found" was fishy here!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:04 pm
Thanks Wy, I should have noticed that the definition is archaic.
0 Replies