Dilemma

samr

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:21 pm
Hi.

I am an anarchist.

I believe that governing people against their will is immoral, and that this is the essence of anarchism.

Also, I believe that a democracy is not a government by the will of the people, even though it claims it is.

First, people do not have a choice _whether_ to have a government at all.

Second, most people think that one _must_ have a government, or "things will go bad". So the actual reason why people actually have a government at all, is not their wish, but some desire to be "ruled".

If people would have a _real_ choice whether to have a government, and _of its nature_, then it could not be called a government at all, since no governing would take place, but mere agency for very specific actions.A person could sign a part of the contract, but not all. For example, a person who doesn't want to pay taxes - wouldn't, and would not get the services.

Furthermore, an unlimited number of such agencies could exist.

Also, the "social contract" would be made _explicit_, and _personal_ : a person would have the right not to sign a social contract, the contract would be time-limited, and its text would be known.

------------

YET, I am extremely confused about my ethics. I would like to act always on principle, but how do I do it? Avoiding any government services at all costs would be suicide.

Also, I wish to pursue higher education, which uses taxes - money taken from people without their explicit will.

AND, I can't afford it on my own.

Sam

fresco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:47 pm
@samr,
The fundamental error of anarchism is the failure to understand that "freedom" is relative (as indeed,could be argued, is morality !). My freedom (to play loud music say) can curtail your freedom (to sleep say). This means that the rules for the communal living essential to our species are always socially regulated, ideally by negotiation. Governments serve to embody that principle of regulation whether or not negotiation is adhered to.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:52 pm
@fresco,
Another fundamental error of anarchism is the implicit assumption that the majority of humans, left with no central governing organization, will act in a sane and responsible manner, respecting the rights of others etc. etc. That, I suggest, is an absurd assumption.
0 Replies

pietervdbo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:01 pm
@samr,
no goverment = choas = no protection for the weak = survival off the fittest = no more overpopulation = good ?

no protection for weak = no protection for smart = ....

i onces was thinking the same way but i now believe that global teaming and birth control might be a better answer altho i dont have an answer on what to with the increasingly ageing population ( = less ppl working, more ppl to take care off that cant work ) when birthcontrol in firmly inforst

sorry for my english
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:38 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The fundamental error of anarchism is the failure to understand that "freedom" is relative (as indeed,could be argued, is morality !). My freedom (to play loud music say) can curtail your freedom (to sleep say). This means that the rules for the communal living essential to our species are always socially regulated, ideally by negotiation. Governments serve to embody that principle of regulation whether or not negotiation is adhered to.

You clearly know nothing of anarchism.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:40 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

****. I was gonna say that. (only not as well) Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:43 pm
@samr,
samr wrote:
YET, I am extremely confused about my ethics. I would like to act always on principle, but how do I do it? Avoiding any government services at all costs would be suicide.

Outwardly conform to society's rules while continually striving for their ultimate destruction. Works for me.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

...except perhaps its more blatant sociopathic manifestations like the recent UK city riots.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:20 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

...except perhaps its more blatant sociopathic manifestations like the recent UK city riots.

That's rather like saying "I nothing of capitalism except perhaps its more blatant sociopathic manifestations like Enron and Bernie Madoff."
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:31 pm
@fresco,
In an Anarchial society that **** woulda been dealt with on day one.
I don't think Anarchy means no one's going to react to anti social behavior.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:41 pm
@wayne,
yup.

not the way it would work in my anarchy...
wayne

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Truth be told, I don't think anarchy would last more than a day or two before tribalism would begin to take hold.
fresco

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:35 pm
If some of you closet anarchists can explain to me what you are about other than negativity to "authority" I'd love to know. It all seems pretty adolescent to me and a far cry from a constructive active resistance movement to "oppression".
rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 05:07 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
Truth be told, I don't think anarchy would last more than a day or two before tribalism would begin to take hold.
I don't know of any human culture on the planet that exists in total anarchy. Every single one of them from the beginning of recorded history has quickly evolved toward some type of social control system. Groups of organisms that need each other cannot exist in a state of total anarchy. I'm not even sure something can even be defined as a biological "group" without some form of cohesive structure.
wayne

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 06:52 am
@rosborne979,
I suppose if everything grew on trees, then anarchy might work. I just don't think anarchists are thinking very far ahead.
What we could use, though, is a bit more autonomy at the local level.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 07:58 am
@wayne,
Anarchy is an oversimplified reaction to a complex problem.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 08:47 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

If some of you closet anarchists can explain to me what you are about other than negativity to "authority" I'd love to know. It all seems pretty adolescent to me and a far cry from a constructive active resistance movement to "oppression".

Considering how many times you've enjoined me to read Wittgenstein, or Gurdjieff, or Kosko, or whoever else you happen to be thumping your tub about that week because you couldn't possibly explain their positions to me, it gives me great pleasure to say: "look it up yourself."
fresco

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:47 am
@joefromchicago,
Fine. I'll take that as a "don't know".
fresco

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:13 am
@rosborne979,
Good point on oversimplification. The kaleidoscope of "movements" covered by the term seem to have only one thing in common...dissatisfaction with prevailing "rules". It seems that anybody from a Naples(Italy) taxi driver to a 70's hippie can wear the badge "anarchist".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 11:00 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Fine. I'll take that as a "don't know".

That's how I've always taken it when you've said it to me.