Is Anybody Listening to Bush's Speech Right Now?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 05:50 am
Yes Farmeremn he did, but he'd been on the stump for days with little sleep and was just trying to sound enthusiastic. I won't argue that he came off sounding like a Dilbert but all this "unnatural state" and "Dean lost it" crap is just that. I almost feel bad for the guy. On his worst day he's not as big a misspeaking boob as the borderline psychotic curently ensconsed at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. but the media really does pound him relentlessly.

Oh well, it comes with the territory.

And I prefer AC/DC to Boxcar Willie most any day. :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 05:51 am
ebrown_p wrote:
It annoys me that he thinks the majority of Americans are complete idiots.

I worries me that he might be right.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:21 am
Interesting thing about the same sex marriage amendment. In my area, there has been an ad running on the radio, by a conservative group. Even though these people don't agree with same sex marriage, they do not want the amendment. The rationale is that the Constitution is NOT the place to legislate social issues, and is the role of the States.

So it looks like Bush may have some problems with the Conservative end of the spectrum.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:22 am
Joe Nation wrote:
I retched all the way through it. J

That's precisely why I didn't watch it. I knew I would, too.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 09:43 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
The rationale is that the Constitution is NOT the place to legislate social issues, and is the role of the States.

So it looks like Bush may have some problems with the Conservative end of the spectrum.

Bush is off in his own version na-na land version of politics, where capitalists cannot exist without handouts and minor social issues are the business of the federal government.

I am so offended that Bush would bring up steroid legislation when we have real and monstrous problems that should be at the top of his list. What about the people with inadequate health care? What about medical costs... where's his discussion of the AIDS epidemic?

We now have American soldiers dying in Iraq and Bush talks about tax cuts, but no mention of military veterans who have had the benefits cut. He has the gall to say that he will give money to public schools so that all students can be tested for drugs - a clear violation of civil rights - and told to abstain from sex - just plain stupid.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
Leave No President Behind.

Grade the State of the Union Address, then send Bush his report card (from the good folks at TrueMajority.org):

Quote:
It started off as a good idea. The Constitution requires the President "from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union." Unfortunately, the State of the Union address has become an annual spectacle filled with spin and distortion punctuated by thunderous applause from the President's people. Somehow the real "state of the union" never really gets discussed, not even "from time to time."

Maybe the problem is that Presidents don't know what we think about these speeches. Maybe all they hear is the applause and raves from their staff and donors so they think they've done a good job.

This year we want to change that. We've created a report card for you to use to grade the President's performance. He says he likes testing and accountability, so he should appreciate this. It's easy, just print it out and give him a grade from A to F for each section while you watch his speech. When you're done, share his test results with him by dropping it in the mail to President Bush, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 20500.

PDF version here:

http://action.truemajority.org/ctt.asp?u=66647&l=272
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:12 pm
He should have had a banjo...everything's fine when you have a banjo...

*as a side note, I noticed John Webb managed to write an entire post without referring to Nazism or Hitler. Impressive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:15 pm
Steroids? His crusade is to stop the use of steroids? Will he find the answer on Mars (as well as the answer for laws prohibiting churches to do what they see fit as far as marriage is concerned?)

The man needs oxygen and I don't mean the cable channel.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:41 pm
McGentrix wrote:
He should have had a banjo...everything's fine when you have a banjo...

*as a side note, I noticed John Webb managed to write an entire post without referring to Nazism or Hitler. Impressive.

and then you came along and had to start it up again.....nothing pissier than a sore winner....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 04:18 pm
Give Dubya his usual "C" grade -- he's resigned (sic) to that.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 05:53 pm
"We are seeking all the facts - already the Kay report identified dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities..."

Damn those mass destruction-related program activities.

Full Text of Bush Speech

"I will send you a budget that funds the war, protects the homeland (?) and meets important domestic needs, while limiting the growth in discretionary spending to less than four percent.

This will require that Congress focus on priorities, cut wasteful spending and be wise with the people's money. By doing so, we can cut the deficit (which was built up in three short years under my watch) in half over the next five years."

"We are regularly testing every child on the fundamentals....So tonight I propose an additional $23 million for schools that want to use drug testing..."

"We will double federal funding for abstinence programs, so schools can teach this (one) fact of life..."

"I call on team owners, union representatives, coaches and players to take the lead, to send the right signal, to get tough and to get rid of steroids now."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:42 pm
Does anyone else think it odd that the conservatives (who normally want no government intervention in their personal lives--[me too] ) are now proposing to create legislation regulating the most personal of unions --- marriage?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 07:09 pm
No I don't Joe, because in this case the negative...mainly government intervention, is surpassed by the positive, legislating morality.

I mean in the eyes of these dickheads of course.

That goes without saying I guess.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 07:22 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Does anyone else think it odd that the conservatives (who normally want no government intervention in their personal lives--[me too] ) are now proposing to create legislation regulating the most personal of unions --- marriage?

This is a sop to the fundies by the neocons.

They call it 'shoring up their base'.

Same as the steroids thing, same as the 'sex slave' thing he mentioned at the UN last year.

John Ashcroft calls Pat Robertson and asks him what's on God's mind, and that concern-of-the-moment makes it into the SOTU. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:40 pm
Joe Nation wrote:

Oh no, Joe, not odd at all. "Everyone" knows that marriage belongs to the conservatives lock, stock & barrel. (bad pun intended) Liberals believe in living in sin. (gasp!) Good conservatives can't just let the liberals redefine marriage, for God's sake (!), or the next thing you know, they'll be demanding the same rights for everybody that's living in sin! It'd be the end of polite society as we know it!! Let's face it, if they aren't living their lives according to good old-fashioned Republican values, they must be wrong. End of discussion.

C'mon, Joe. You lived in the Bible Belt long enough to know this.

Ouch, I bit myself! My tongue is bleeding. :wink:
0 Replies