Benefits = ?

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 09:31 am
Context:

No matter how vigorous and successful the efforts to combat antibiotic resistance might be, new antibiotics will still be urgently needed. 17,20,23 Since the net present value of antibiotics is low, the development of new antibiotics is not a high priority for pharmaceutical companies. New approaches to overcoming the barrier to drug development have been proposed, including orphan drug benefits, government support for antibiotic development, prolonged patents, expedited approval, and other strategies. 17 Again, talk will not be enough, and efforts to stimulate new antibiotic development must be paired with even more aggressive programmes and policies to limit inappropriate use in human beings, animal husbandry, and aquaculture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 396 • Replies: 5
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 09:42 am
@oristarA,

I suppose it's a goverment program of supplying funds (benefits) to allow the supply of necessary medicines (drugs) to orphans.
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:33 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I suppose it's a goverment program of supplying funds (benefits) to allow the supply of necessary medicines (drugs) to orphans.

Cool. Such opinion is what I was looking for.

I hope a JPB come here to offer us worthy information.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:20 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I reread your reply and found that you've misunderstood the meaning of "orphan drug," which in medical science refers to the drugs used in rare diseases treatment.
McTag

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 02:49 am
@oristarA,
Aha. I thought there was something strange about that.

Quote:
New approaches to overcoming the barrier to drug development have been proposed, including orphan drug benefits, government support for antibiotic development,

In that case, it's just about (removing barriers to) research into the benefits (positive applications/ outcomes) of these new drugs.
oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:56 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Aha. I thought there was something strange about that.

Quote:
New approaches to overcoming the barrier to drug development have been proposed, including orphan drug benefits, government support for antibiotic development,

In that case, it's just about (removing barriers to) research into the benefits (positive applications/ outcomes) of these new drugs.

Thank you.

But let us not stay on guessing. I searched google with key words (orphan drug benefits), and it gave me a lot of hits about it. Browsing them gave me a headache.

I think I may need to make this another thread. See whether veterans who are familliar with google can come up with the exact one.
0 Replies