Occupy Wall Street Videos And Opinions!

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 04:57 am
I think Chris is right on target what do you think?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 8,100 • Replies: 58
No top replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:14 am
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 06:27 am
Do you think some of the news reporters are bias?

0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:37 pm

what ever , ( didn't whatch the video's )

I'm a capitalist , I think the individuality is expressed in capitalism

but the way wall street behaves is unconscionable

so I'm all for this wall street protest
Gadfly

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:52 pm
@north,
I have been down to the protests at wall street; the occupation is filled with people who are overwhelmingly positive, and completely dedicated to their cause. They see problems in our society, and believe that change, REAL change is both necessary and possible. This is an exciting, inspiring and wonderful thing.

Not so wonderful was the obvious lack of a concrete message. Everybody there has their own distinct goal in mind; a concept which reeks a lot like capitalism itself. This is not necessarily a bad thing; in fact, it is good to have a literal forum where ideas and problems are being discussed in person. But unless these protesters adopt a cohesive ideal, plan or manifesto, their cause will quickly fall apart. They need documentation, discussion and a frank honesty in their intentions, otherwise the media and the government will continue to refuse to take them seriously.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 04:06 pm
@Gadfly,
Many protests have had contretemps on principles within the protest group/groups - that is the natural way of people coalescing re one target, even disagreeing on the target. Surely we don't want automatons rebelling.
I'm no monitor of what has ever made protests work, except that general dismay from the lot of the protesters may bring some coherence with talking.

Contriving a single manifesto? Give us a break.
I think the discussions are useful.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:38 pm
I do not know who this guy is but it seems as I have seen him before! Is he famous?
He brings out an old magazine do you think that this will end like in the 1930'S magazine?

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 05:43 pm
0 Replies

Gadfly

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
If the goal of the protests has been merely to "bring some coherence with talking," and I'm assuming you mean opening up the discussion for change to a broader context, then you're right; the protest has already been successful. People are talking.

But if the goal of the protest is not just conversation, but tangible change, then I want to hear some ideas, some concrete ideas, on how this change can be achieved. I think the discussions are incredibly useful, but not if they dissolve into nothing. You cannot fight for something forever without knowing what that something will be.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:36 pm
@Gadfly,
Watch the video about the man with the magazine at 5 minutes into the video and tell me what you think!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
He looks like the actor, Robert DuVal, to me--but a bit younger.
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:24 pm
@Gadfly,
Gadfly wrote:

I have been down to the protests at wall street; the occupation is filled with people who are overwhelmingly positive, and completely dedicated to their cause. They see problems in our society, and believe that change, REAL change is both necessary and possible. This is an exciting, inspiring and wonderful thing.

Not so wonderful was the obvious lack of a concrete message. Everybody there has their own distinct goal in mind; a concept which reeks a lot like capitalism itself. This is not necessarily a bad thing; in fact, it is good to have a literal forum where ideas and problems are being discussed in person. But unless these protesters adopt a cohesive ideal, plan or manifesto, their cause will quickly fall apart. They need documentation, discussion and a frank honesty in their intentions, otherwise the media and the government will continue to refuse to take them seriously.

tell them what you think

perhaps the easiest way to find the person(s) in the big picture is to follow the media

then pull them aside and discuss what you are thinking about the situation
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 03:37 pm
This is a good one!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 03:47 pm
@Gadfly,
Like, duh.

I think peaceful demonstration is useful and it has many levels.

Also, people writing their own (not copies) letters to their congresspeople can have an effect. I gather that is not done so much anymore. Sending an email to their office can have an effect. On the other hand, if they are swamped with baths of blather, any one email or letter can be taken lightly.

From my experience, congress folk meet with their constituents. Do you go to those meetings and just talk, or in a formal situation, submit a question?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:17 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:00 pm
I as a foreigner, an European outsider, would like a decent explanation for the following images if there is one that can justify them...

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
The world is watching and knows that they are seeing is a repressive and lying government!

You have not seen nothing yet, Wait till the rest of our people wake up and start fighting back. Most are still asleep!
gungasnake

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:20 pm
@Gadfly,
Quote:
..,. They see problems in our society, and believe that change, REAL change is both necessary and possible....

That being the case, I'd assume they were less than happy with the idea of a George Soros sock puppet like Bork Obunga in the white house.....
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:31 pm
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 10:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
The world is not just watching, they are joining in. Cities all across Canada have planned mirrored protests this saturday. I believe this has also jumped the pond too, as there are more protests planned for European cities as well. People are pissed all over the place that these bankers have gotten away with mass scale thievery and NOTHING has been done about it. Except of course bailing out the banks and leaving the citizens of the world, jobless, homeless and falling further in debt.
So, when they interview people at the rallies and each say something different, the thoughts my not be cohesive, but it doesn't take much to read between the lines and see what the real issues are. And there are more than one...