What is "a cooperative venture"?

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:45 am

Context:

In 2010, Canada joined the EAAD, and the CDC Get Smart programme was highlighted during the same week in November as the EAAD. Under the Swedish presidency of the European Union, a cooperative venture was set up between the USA and Europe in 2009 (the Transatlantic Task Force for Antibiotic Resistance). WHO has also voiced its serious concern by designating antimicrobial resistance as the focus of World Health Day on April 7, 2011.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 656 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:53 am
It means that the United States and Europe will cooperate in a venture, an enterprise, to study the resistance of microbes to antibiotic agents.
oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 03:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It means that the United States and Europe will cooperate in a venture, an enterprise, to study the resistance of microbes to antibiotic agents.

Thank you.

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 04:02 pm
@oristarA,

Do you ever look in a good dictionary? An invaluable tool.
oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 04:24 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Do you ever look in a good dictionary? An invaluable tool.

Of course I did before posting.

See how Cambridge dict confused me:

Venture:
a new activity, usually in business, which involves risk or uncertainty

Can an activity be "set up"?

Let alone those E-C dicts.
McTag

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 04:41 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Can an activity be "set up"?

Yes, of course it can. To set-up something, to set something up, means to establish it.

Some of the problems you are encounering are caused by the tendency of some modern authors to use looser language than necessary.
Then of course, in those cases, A2K contributors can help.
I would have thought however, that "to set up a venture" should have been easy meat for a chap like you with a dictionary.

I advise use of the dictionary (it must be a good E-E dictionary) because in reading round the target word or phrase, you learn a lot more.
JTT

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:05 am
@McTag,
Dictionaries are nowhere near as useful to ESLs as direct contact with native speakers.

Quote:
Some of the problems you are encounering are caused by the tendency of some modern authors to use looser language than necessary.

The old saw - "language is going to hell in a hand basket" comes out.

McTag, you're much too bright a fella to be spouting this nonsense.
McTag

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 01:36 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Dictionaries are nowhere near as useful to ESLs as direct contact with native speakers.

Yeh, but Oristar is quite advanced.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
I agree with your assessment of Oristar's level of sophistication in English, and although i did not comment when i read it, i also agree that a standard English dictionary is at this point preferable to a Chinese-English dictionary. When i had reached a certain level of skill in the French language, i benefited more from a Larousse or a Robert than from any French-English dictionary, because at that point i was reading words in the context of French usage. By that point, i only needed a French-English dictionary for very specific vocabulary, such as the name of a plant or animal, which neither context nor the single language dictionary would provide. So, if in context, i knew i was reading about a bird, that the Robert told me it is volaille--a domestic fowl--was not helpful, since i wouldn't know specifically what type of domestic fowl, and needed the French-English dictionary for that.

But my experience has also been that dual language dictionaries often don't provide sufficient detail. Knowing, for example, why the word means "duck" doesn't tell me why the author used morillon rather than canard. But a good single language dictionary like a Robert would tell me that morillon is tufted. Sometimes you need both types of dictionary.

I agree that Oristar is sufficiently sophisticated in English usage to benefit from reliance on a sole language English dictionary. I would recommend the encycolpedic form of dictionary, although they are had to use until you get used to them.
oristarA

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 08:10 pm
@Setanta,
I have been using Wiki Encyclopedia (English version) most of times. Britannica I loved, but it is not available in China and its online version is too slow to be used here.
Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 01:54 am
@oristarA,
I suspect that McT meant a printed dictionary, a book one buys at the store. That is what i meant. However, of course, i have no idea how easay that is to find in China, or what the cost would be.
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:50 am
@Setanta,

Oh yes, I meant a book, not a web site.

One of what my father used ironically to call "The Good Book".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 09:34 am
@JTT,

Quote:

See what you did there? You attributed thoughts and conclusions to me, then criticised me for harbouring them.

You naughty chap, you.
JTT

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:06 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
You naughty chap, you.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:35 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

There's been a lot of talk about your nationality mate. Well it's clear you're not British. We use hell in a hancart, which was the first book of a noted tabloid editor Richard Littlejohn, described by the Guardian as follows;
Quote:
To Hell In A Handcart is racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic trash.

Some say the phrase originates from the plague when the dead were wheeled out in handcarts.
0 Replies