Stick a Fork in Tiger....He's DONE!

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Interesting.....you are not normally the kinda guy who champions ignorance.

Set has his moments. Then he's really big on ignorance.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:57 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
It became chic to publicly denounce Tiger. Everyone decided to get up on their own mountain and form a dissenting opinion about a guy that they had been in love with just a month or two earlier. And it made sense – Tiger was exposed as being an asshole. He was cheating on his wife. He was a bad tipper. He was doing strange sexual act with anonymous women he was meeting at diners. It was easy to just say, “Wow, this guy is NOT who we thought he was, and this guy is really not a good person.”

And that’s what most people did.

I didn’t. I couldn’t wait for him to get back on the course, and I couldn’t wait for him to prove to everybody that he was still the man out there. Then, he wasn’t, and everybody who had quickly decided they now hated the guy could revel in his demise.

Something about that always seemed a little twisted to me. Tiger, the guy who won 14 majors and provided us with some of the best sports moments ever, hit a rut in his life which translated onto the course, and we all abandoned him. He deserved to be judged, it just seemed like the judgment was more harsh than was warranted.

And I think that was proven when nobody could fully commit to leaving. Sure, he probably doesn’t have as many female fans as he once did, but the galleries on the course are just a big as they ever were. Tiger is still the biggest draw, the game’s most popular player and by far its most compelling figure. It’s just not okay to say you like him.

You can watch Tiger, but you can’t like Tiger.

You can root for Tiger and justify it by saying that you want to see something dramatic, but you can’t like Tiger.

You can read everything about how Tiger is finding his swing, how he’s getting his life back together little by little, how he’s spending more time with his kids, but you can’t like Tiger.

You can put money on Tiger – making him the Vegas, odds-on favorite in every single tournament he plays in – but you cannot like Tiger Woods.

And I don’t necessarily blame you. He can be an easy guy to dislike. I just simply can’t do it. I can’t stop rooting for the guy that I had been rooting for for years and years, simply because he screwed up his personal life. I can’t do it.

You’re supposed to root for the laundry in professional sports. If the Red Sox players are unlikable, well, so what. They’re the Red Sox. You root for the B.

In golf, it’s not usually that cut and dry, but it is here. I root for the laundry, and that laundry is colored Sunday Red.

So I’ll continue on, right or wrong, rooting for Tiger Woods. In the sports world, there’s a stigma that comes along with saying your favorite athlete of all time is an adulterer with prescription pill problems who hasn’t won anything substantial in four years. I’m not trying to portray myself as a martyr, just telling it the way it is.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/golf/tiger-woods/life-doesnt-seem-be-getting-any-easier-tiger-woods

I dont care enough about golf to root for Tiger, but if he cant stop looking so pathetic as both a human and a golfer I wish he would retire and disappear. He probably would have a few years before the ex finished taking his money.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 02:57 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm not at all surprised to see you equate ignorance with the unwillingness to slander a public figure just because he is a public figure. After all, your mantra is "No, no, look at me, look at me!"
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:39 am
@Setanta,
Look at you, trying again to make this thread all about me, when it should be all about Tiger!
engineer

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 06:42 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I dont care enough about golf to root for Tiger, but if he cant stop looking so pathetic as both a human and a golfer I wish he would retire and disappear.

So he's number four in the world and that makes him "pathetic as both a human and a golfer"? If everyone more pathetic retires there's only going to be three pro golfers in the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 09:29 am
@hawkeye10,
It's not about Tiger, it's about your hateful jealousy of someone who, warts and all, has succeeded as you never will.
JTT

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:00 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
has succeeded as you never will.

I don't think that Tiger has ever opened his own restaurant.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 10:16 pm
@JTT,
Set is part of a long line of a2K'ers who persist with their delusion that I am personally a defective, their desperate attempt to keep away the inconvenient truths of which I speak is the reason. I also am sure that IdiotBill is not the only one who feels the urgent need to deprive me of my ability to speak on A2K, or anywhere else for that matter.

They dont matter. That humanity has gone off the rails can no longer be denied by all but the most militant idiots, guys like me are increasingly getting a hearing in spite of the attempts to shut them down. Set, and those like him, are dinosaurs.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 02:35 am
@hawkeye10,
I quit reading a while back.

Bill is no longer your friend? I thought he spent an enormous amount of time defending your every word Shocked
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 02:57 am
Typical Hawkeye melodrama. As usual, he whines about people attempting to silence him--all the while ignoring that he is ranting away unhindered.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:13 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

I quit reading a while back.

Bill is no longer your friend? I thought he spent an enormous amount of time defending your every word Shocked

IdiotBill is OccomBill, a guy who seldom shows up anymore because Robert refused to throw me out for being an alleged moral degenerate...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 11:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Tiger is going into the final of the AT&T one shot back. I of course expect another melt-down. On the other hand, I might have been wrong about him....
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
No crash n burn, and Tiger wins. Could it be that he has another major win in him?
engineer

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
He has more PGA titles this year than any other golfer.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:16 pm
And this week Tiger can't even make the cut.........

Hmmmm
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
He didn't do all that badly, 70 and 71 if I remember. But... whole masses of players scored lower.

On interview, he said he'd never played the course before and that his distances were off (something about elevation and maybe temperature too) and that he expected to work out distances more easily at the British Open, which is in a more coastal location.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
And this week Tiger can't even make the cut.........

Hmmmm

That's not unsurprising at all for top atheletes, is it, Hawk?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:19 pm

http://www.francesschultz.com/wp-content/uploads/photo152.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 05:51 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm mixed on all that.
Seems to me the rules were known and it shouldn't have been a duh. On the other hand, apparently almost no one knew the rules re that circumstance, which was unusual.... I take it.

engineer

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
It seems the public is mixed between it was no big deal and he should have been disqualified. In terms of the original "Tiger is done" thread, he's back to number one in the world so I guess that settles the argument.