tIs Tiger Woods worth $3 Mill for participating?

dadpad

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:50 am

Tiger woods was paid 3 mill just to participate in the Australian Masters Golf Tornament. thats 1 mill per day. He won by 2 strokes by the way, so I'm not sure if he gets extra money for winning.

I find this amount of money obscene even for winning.

In some sports where the participants have a limited lifespan I can see the point but you can comfortably play golf at an international level until you're 60.
The whole world has been in economic turmoil. People have lost their homes and their livelyhoods.

How have we got our priorities so wrong.

lmur

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:26 am
@dadpad,
The $3m is appearance money only - he will also receive the winner's cheque (which will be substantially less).

As a golf fan, I went along to a charity golf event a couple of years back which was organised by JP McManus (one of Ireland's richest men). The event was a "pro-celeb" affair; where each professional golfer is paired with a "celebrity". I recall Colin Montgomerie (a top European professional at the time) walking past a young kid looking for his autograph and being practically ordered to turn back and sign by his partner, financier Denis Desmond (another rich paddy). Montgomerie's obsequiousness was very revealing, I thought.

Tiger won that event too!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:33 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
I find this amount of money obscene even for winning.

Yes, I agree with you.

Quote:
How have we got our priorities so wrong.

Buggered if I know. I can think of so many better things that money could have been spent on.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:40 am
@msolga,
Golf is a game suitable for douche bags only. It was raining like a sumbitch yeterday and I went down to our coffe shop only to run into a cluster of golfers who were engaged in a tournament at a golf course in the county. It was coming down in buckets and these assholes were going golfing.

People arrange pwerfectly good vacations to go see Tiger Woods hit a little ball out of site in the general direction of a clearing in a field. I can do that with my hay bailer.
dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:42 am
@dadpad,
I presume it ensures they get the tournament is profitable.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:48 am
@msolga,
I watched a short documentary about Tiger Woods on TV the other night where the $3 million was discussed. This amount is peanuts compared to his annual endorsements, which the program quoted as being $137 million! By the way his winning cheque today was a mere $270.000 I agree with you both, dadpad and msolga, the money side is totally obscene, no one person is worth that sort of money.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
People arrange pwerfectly good vacations to go see Tiger Woods hit a little ball out of site in the general direction of a clearing in a field. I can do that with my hay bailer.

Laughing

There was absolute hysteria here in Melbourne during Tiger's visit, farmer. Crowds the likes of which had never been seen before at the golf!
I don't have a problem with Tiger, nor do I have a problem with the game of golf (though it does seem rather tedious to me, too). I have a problem with the amount of $$$ our state government throws at such "major events", claiming that it's good for the state's image. It's not just this event, it's the Grand Prix (heavily subsidized by the government) & god knows what else ... (That's dadpad's & my taxes at work! Grrrr ...)

Dadpad, do you know how much of the $3 million the government paid for?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:21 am
Athletes are over paid. Boxer Manny Pacquiao earned forty million last year. Three fights.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 09:57 am
Tiger is good box office. Because of him, millions more persons pay attention to golf these days. Naturally he gets more than he might deserve. But, if it did not go to him, who among you thinks the money (in this case $3 mil) will get returned to the public?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:14 am
What real difference does it make if Tiger got the entire $3 Million or if it was shared equally among all the golfers? All I know is none of it came my way.

A thing is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it, and that includes participation by Tiger Woods.

This is so far out of my realm that it's completely inconsequential to me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

People arrange pwerfectly good vacations to go see Tiger Woods hit a little ball out of site in the general direction of a clearing in a field.

You got it! People (not me!) arrange vacations and pay good money to see him hit the ball. People who would otherwise pay nothing. He's apearance is worth money, so pay him.
0 Replies