Stick a Fork in Tiger....He's DONE!

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 04:59 pm
@Ragman,
My read is that increasingly people feel sorry for Tiger.....thing is corporate America has not spent all that money they gave to him to tie themselves to a loser. Tigers income potential is now a fraction of what it was, and is going down fast.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 05:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Corporations only prefer to go where there's profit. As he continues to lose but while losing he displays poor sportsmnaship by swearing and throwing clubs, he throws his huge paydays and endorsements right out the window. How odd especially when he said those days of being boorish, a bore and a brat were over.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 05:19 pm
@Ragman,
Self destructive people are a dime a dozen...I have often been amazed at the hoops people I have known jump trough so that they can be failures. Sometimes I think that success and failure has been programmed into us at birth, and that nearly nothing can change the outcome
gungasnake

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Muhammed Ali managed to re-invent himself and emerge a champion again after the lower-body flexibility of youth had faded; Tiger needs to find a way to reinvent himself. That might involve artificial lower-back discs, or a major introduction to weight training, or something else similarly out of the box.

An interesting contrast to Ali's original defensive system which no longer worked at age 30 is the man I view as the pound-per-pound all time best professional prizefighter, i.e. Duran. Jerry Quarry described Duran as the very rarest bird in the fight game, that is, a guy who mainly moves forward and throws heavy punches and STILL almost never gets hit with anything solid; Duran's defenses involved much less motion and effort. Even past age 40 and in no semblance of shape whatsoever, you'd see him apparently standing right in front of good fighters and they simply couldn't hit him with anything meaningful.

Philippos

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:27 pm
@gungasnake,
Tiger is getting too old for reinvention. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 01:33 am
I think it's a wee bit premature to say Tiger's out for the count. Sure he's a prick and he's lost his mojo, but he's also one of the most talented golfer's to ever play the game. History has proven you don't have to be a nice guy to win and sometimes it takes a while but winners have a way of bouncing back. Will Tiger win again? who knows.. but if I were a betting person, I'm not, I wouldn't count him out.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:03 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
but if I were a betting person, I'm not, I wouldn't count him out.

then again, you are an incredibly naive person. I was saying within three months of the little wife taking a swing at him with a golf club that it was highly unlikely that Tiger could come back, so far who does the record support, you or me?
Ceili

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Oh for christ's sake, who gives a damn who or what supports anything. I'm saying you're being premature, I'm sure it's not the first time.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:26 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Oh for christ's sake, who gives a damn who or what supports anything. I'm saying you're being premature, I'm sure it's not the first time.

I am sure that you love playing the eternal optimist, but the problem for you is that this quickly turns into playing the chump....
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 04:06 am
@Ragman,
Fame does alot of things to people.

Makes them feel they are invincible. He married a "nice" girl, good looking and had kids... She wasn't stupid.. Maybe, he thought she was.

Loosing her, was nothing. The media attention was everything. Loosing his kids was something he didn't expect.

Stands to reason, no matter how many women Hawekye he "could" continue to screw, he's lost his respect from people. He's lost the right to see his children every morning, every night.

He's very egotistical.. So, that fall from grace, would be near impossible to get back up from.

Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 06:51 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Well said. Agreed. He may recover gfrom the physical ills and./or adapt his wing, but the all-important psyche...the inner game..appears gone. What made him nearly-unbeatable in the past was his unshakable confidence and laser-like focus abnd concentration ... say when he was down 5 stokes...you just knew at the end he would come back. He shook the confidence of his opponents. That game of intimidation and that Tiger seems to be gone. Witness his play in this Masters.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 10:15 am
@Ragman,
I semi-followed his knee troubles and his efforts to reconfigure his swing with a swing coach then his getting another (swing) coach. Somewhere along the way he bulked up a lot (I think that was earlier) and people theorized that had some ill effects on his game. So, a lot of tinkering going on in the last number of years, and tinkering can be difficult in itself psychologically, especially if one has had extreme early success. The golfer now with the splendid naturally fluid swing is McIlroy. I hope he manages to keep it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 01:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree about your recounting of the events. It's what I read and heard, too. Maybe 4 yrs ago or so (around the knee surgery time), I think he changed his approach to his working out. His physique changed (15 lbs of muscle) and he got a lot more ripped upper body. After (or during) that I think a lot of tinkering occured from then on and then his knee problems. As result, I think his swing fluidity suffered.

I likewise agree about Rory McIlroy. Mercy. He is not even 22 yrs of age yet..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 01:59 pm
@Ragman,
Ooh, Watson's moving up. He's one of the guys I follow.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:00 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
His physique changed and he got a lot more ripped upper body.

Done because bagging the giant fake titted blonds is more important than golf??? I am sure that he rationalized this by saying that his corporate employers would like to have a better looking Tiger to shill for them, but this would not have been the real reason I think.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:01 pm
@Ragman,
This wasn't meant to imply that his physique became non-symmetrical. He always worked out heavily and scientifically (very aware of kinesiology). He just made himself overall even stronger.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:10 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
He always worked out heavily and scientifically (very aware of kinesiology)

It is questionable how scientific/methodical/prudent the workout routine is of a guy who according to reports routinely goes out and abuses his body with the US Armed Forces. This seems to be more about being a "man" than it does about being a better golfer.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 04:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Done because bagging the giant fake titted blonds is more important than golf???

Yes, you can lose direction if your focus is on "the boys, alcohol and women". But, if you've lost the biggest challenge yet, your confidence then what would any man do? Say, I don't give a...

He knows he was a "hero" probably in his children's eyes as well.. The man is down.

I don't buy that he's a sex addict. I believe that was his "team" covering but in any event like everything in life. You can't say he will come back nor, that he wont... Most, at some point come back, their ego won't allow them not to.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 04:26 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
. Most, at some point come back, their ego won't allow them not to

Tigers ego it seems to be has always been more engaged in pulling off a double life than it has been in being the best golfer. There is no reason to think that this has changed, as there is ample evidence that he has not changed.
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 04:56 pm
Who's Tiger Woods?
0 Replies