Am I being selfish

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:53 pm
My 15 year old lab mix is not doing so well. I know what I need to do but I don't think I can. For 15 years she has been a constant in my life, welcoming me home every time the front door opened, protecting me and the kids, providing unconditional love and companionship. How can I do this? Is it really time? Should I stay with her until the bitter end? I have done some reading and there are mixed feelings about what really happens to our pets once the injection is given. I just feel like I should be there for her but after what I've read about the end of life happenings I don't know if I can actually be an asset to her. Please help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:07 pm
@sadtothebone,
A lot of people here have had to do just that.

One thing I can tell you is, if you do not do this, she is still going to die, and probably sooner rather than later. 15 is old for a dog, and ancient for a larger breed such as a lab. I cannot begin to tell you how unbelievably awful it was for our mastiff mix to die at home, no injection, he just perished one day and thank God at least we were home and didn't come home from work to find him. It has been over 10 years - getting close to 15 - since then and I do still think of it on occasion. I think an injection would have been better, and easier for him.

Plus I didn't have to worry about kids possibly finding a dead or dying dog.

I think you know what to do. No one is going to tell you that it's easy. But it is the right thing to do, yes?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:17 pm
@sadtothebone,
I think your dog was lucky to have you all these years, not many labs live to be 15, so you must have treated her very well. There is no perfect time, but I believe the kindest final gift you can give to an animal is a compassionate death. Yes, I think you should stay with her when they do the injection. I have been there for all my animals, except one, and I am amazed at how peaceful it is for them. I hold them the whole time and they just seem to go to sleep. I wish I had such a peaceful option. The one animal who I did not take to vet had what I assume was eventually heart failure, but she screamed and cried for 10 minutes before finally dying. It was 2AM and I didn't know what to do so I watched her suffer. I would not wish that on any pet or pet owner when there is an alternative. I have never been lucky enough to have one just go naturally to sleep and not wake up.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:31 pm
@sadtothebone,
Not asking for the gory details but what can or cannot your dog do? You need to make a list of two columns and if the negatives win out then it should be the time to let your dog 'rest'.

Does the dog have trouble walking (even short distances to go outside for relieving itself)? Severe arthritis or hip problems?

Does the dog have a modest appetite? Is the dog severly under or overweight?

If the dog was a big player, has the level of play changed dramatically?
What of sight and hearing? How are they affected? Does the dog have temperamental changes because he/she can't identify friends from strangers?

How I'd the dog's coat? Is he/she going bald or have severe rashes or itching problems? Does he/she get too cold during the cold nights? Etc...?

If the dog is suffering from pain and other symptoms then you should let the dog go. Take him to a vet and stay by it's side at the end. This act of mercy is and act of compassion and kindness.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 06:53 pm
@sadtothebone,
She has been there for you for 15 years. You OWE it to her to be present and next to her as she looks on the world one last time.

I have held two of my dogs in my arms, holding their heads, and looking into their eyes with mutual love as they expired. I wanted my face and smell to comfort them as they drew their last breath. You owe that much to a dying friend.

I will be doing something similar in a few weeks, or hopefully months with my 13 year old Kuvasz, Abba (whose pix is my avatar), so I do understand the emotional dilemma. It never gets easier.

Abba will let me know when he is ready. I have had him long enough to see the signs. I just wish dogs would live longer, but .......

Quote:
Why dogs don't live longer than people

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year- old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.
Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"
The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak kindly Be loyal. Leave the rest to God.

http://www.marthanorwalk.com/stories/whydogs.html

Read the following link, please?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/at-home-pet-euthanasia-grows-in-popularity/2011/09/22/gIQAVL4MxK_story.html?hpid=z2

ps pet your dog and treat them each day the way you wished you had after they're gone.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:41 am
@sadtothebone,
I suggest bringing your dog to the vet. The vet should be able to determine if your dog is sufffering. And also when you do have to put her down - ask the vet what happens that way you can determine what would be best for both of you.

And hugs - I know how this is - I've been there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:03 pm
@kuvasz,
I certainly agree that we SHOULD be there....but if the poster is unable to face it....and I gather lots of people aren't.....then I think it better for the dog that it be done by the vet alone than allowing the dog to suffer to the end.

Not all people can deal with the death, and I think that's ok.
0 Replies