guidance = ?

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:06 am

Context:

The non-therapeutic use of antibiotics in animals continues to increase, despite recommendations from WHO15 and others to have this practice stopped, as has been done in the European Union.Faced with these daunting therapeutic challenges, physicians in some countries have had to resort to antibiotics with unfavourable toxicity profiles and imited pharmacodynamic guidance (eg, colistin) 16, as well as unconventional combinations of antibiotics that have not been investigated properly. Old ideas are being resurrected, such as the use of lytic bacteriophages, but with little evidence of clinical effectiveness. New approaches, such as defensins, targeted monoclonal antibodies, and agents designed to interrupt mechanisms of pathogenesis (eg, toll-like receptors, quorum sensing) have yet to fulfi ll their therapeutic potential.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 594 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:22 am
@oristarA,
I must admit, ori, that I have no idea what that means in this instance.
oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:55 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I must admit, ori, that I have no idea what that means in this instance.

So let's wait . Very Happy
contrex

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:09 am
@oristarA,
Pharmacodynamics is a term for the effects that a drug has on the body. Usually when deciding what drug to prescribe, doctors will have access to printed or online guidance from the drug manufacturer or elsewhere about these effects which may influence their choice. Some drugs have little guidance provided, possibly because they are new.

oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:54 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Pharmacodynamics is a term for the effects that a drug has on the body. Usually when deciding what drug to prescribe, doctors will have access to printed or online guidance from the drug manufacturer or elsewhere about these effects which may influence their choice. Some drugs have little guidance provided, possibly because they are new.

Thank you.

What is the difference between the Pharmacodynamic Guidance and the Medication Guide? The same with different name?
contrex

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:01 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
What is the difference between the Pharmacodynamic Guidance and the Medication Guide?

Pharmacodynamic guidance is material for the doctor to read before choosing which drug to prescribe or use, and contains information and advice about its use.

A Medication Guide is a leaflet included in prescribed drug packaging for the patient to read. It will include details of possible adverse effects, advice on avoiding them, and dosage information.

In Britain the Medication Guide is called the "Patient Information Leaflet" or PFL.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:15 pm
@contrex,
I learned something today, contrex. Thank you. To me, the whole paragraph that oristar posted was well-nigh indecipherable.
contrex

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 02:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
To me, the whole paragraph that oristar posted was well-nigh indecipherable.

I am lucky my girlfriend works in a hospital pharmacy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:43 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:
What is the difference between the Pharmacodynamic Guidance and the Medication Guide?

Pharmacodynamic guidance is material for the doctor to read before choosing which drug to prescribe or use, and contains information and advice about its use.

A Medication Guide is a leaflet included in prescribed drug packaging for the patient to read. It will include details of possible adverse effects, advice on avoiding them, and dosage information.

In Britain the Medication Guide is called the "Patient Information Leaflet" or PFL.

Cool.
Thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:05 am
I apologise for an error I made due to hasty typing ...

I should have written:

In Britain the Medication Guide is called the "Patient Information Leaflet" or PIL.

I did not mention my thought that "pharmacodynamic" is the sort of technical word a doctor would be familiar with, but not all patients.

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:26 am
@oristarA,
pharmocodynamics = the science of drug action

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/pharmacodynamics

my reading of that would be that the doctor has a limited understanding of the action or the effects of the drugs on living organisms - so doctors in some countries would not know how the antibiotics are going to effect the patient before using them.

The doctor has limited information on what reaction there will be using medications.

pharmacodynamics [fahr″mah-ko-di-nam´iks]
the study of the biochemical and physiological effects of drugs and the mechanisms of their actions, including the correlation of their actions and effects with their chemical structure. adj., adj pharmacodynam´ic.
0 Replies