Would it be wrong to use 'will'

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 08:56 pm
“The PMO budget has increased many times over the past four years. Pakatan’s budget will propose strong measures to reduce it,” he said.
He expects Najib to pick up some of Pakatan ideas to beef up his own government budget.
“I would not be surprised given that Najib always imitates my political style,” said Anwar, who is the Permatang Pauh MP, while citing a few examples.
He said Pakatan’s alternative budget would emphasise on human development, environment, welfare and reduction of taxes and prices of goods.
He said the budget would also look into how to improve the ordinary people’s socio-economic well- being.
“It will be different from the BN’s budget,” he said.

Would it be wrong to change 'would' to 'will'?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 753 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 09:50 pm
@Yoong Liat,
Quote:
“I would not be surprised given that Najib always imitates my political style,” said Anwar, who is the Permatang Pauh MP, while citing a few examples.
He said Pakatan’s alternative budget would emphasise on human development, environment, welfare and reduction of taxes and prices of goods.
He said the budget would also look into how to improve the ordinary people’s socio-economic well- being.
“It will be different from the BN’s budget,” he said.

Would it be wrong to change 'would' to 'will'?

Not at all wrong, Yoong. Note that both 'will' and 'would' mark a future here. It's just that in the circumstances, 'would' seems a better choice. This is a situation where there is some doubt and I believe that the speaker wants to leave a measure of doubt.

Note the difference between this sentence and the one that I've put in bold.

In the bold sentence using 'would' would be funny/odd because it would mark the sentence as one of doubt, which is obviously not what the speaker wants there.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 10:34 am
@Yoong Liat,
Look at the title of the thread, Yoong Liat marked as 1).

1) Would it be wrong to use 'will'?

2) Will it be wrong to use 'will'?

This is pretty much the same thing as in the text. You've used 'would' [in 1)] because it leans towards asking about a theoretical issue.

Now, look at 2). I've changed it to 'will'. Using 'will' there is not wrong but again, it doesn't sound as natural. Perhaps if the situation was a more pointed, personal one, for example, if you were in a classroom and you asked the teacher about an example you had made, then 'will' might see use.

But in this last situation, there are also considerations relating to politeness/softness/a less direct question.

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:19 pm
@JTT,
Oh, I get what you mean.
0 Replies