Systematic welts little history of allergic reactions.

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:38 pm
I’m a 24 year-old female who works in a restaurant. About 2 weeks ago I had a blister on the rim of my bottom lip. I immediately thought it was a cold sore but had never had one before and haven’t changed my sexual partner in over a year so was skeptical. It came on like a mosquito bite; a slight itch and burning but only lasted about two hours. Also, it was not a cluster but one single welt. After the two hours in its place was a slight discoloration maybe a bruise. Two days later I had another one on the rim of my upper lip. A day after that the same thing happened on my left eye; it went away quickly. A day or two later my right eye had a hive/blister/welt; whatever it is. After all that dissipated several sores appeared on my tongue and on the gums around my teeth. All this time my legs have been itchy periodically, but have just now turned rash-like around the knees however still not long lasting (only an hour). The mouth sores were followed by a cold with swollen lymph nodes and low-grade fever. Now that that is resolving I have had yet another strange bout of the same hives one on each hand a day apart and one on my forearm a day later all resulting in a bruise. In the last few months I have moved to a new apartment, changed my make-up powder, and birth control medication. I know I have gotten rashes from Tide laundry detergent and penicillin but otherwise I have no other known allergies. My mother has allergic reactions to Tide, most shampoos and fragranced lotions. I want to know if this is an allergic reaction and if it is serious enough to take to a doctor. Please help me figure out my strange physical problems. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,367 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:33 am
@eeyounge,
I would take it to a doctor - if for no other reason than to be sure it wasn't herpes or shingles (which is a variant, if I'm understanding correctly - also related to having had chicken pox as a kid, assuming you did).

The swollen lymph nodes and fever are an indication of an infection but there may be an allergy in there yet. Perhaps the restaurant changed dishwashing detergents or something like that?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 08:32 am
@eeyounge,
I'd check for bedbugs or spiders. Look under your sheets and see if you see tiny rust colored spots on the mattress or pad. Check your pillow under the pillow case too. You may have moved into an apartment that was infested or you may have picked them up from your luggage when you packed. Did you travel recently? There's a nationwide bedbug epidemic in hotels in the US.

If you don't see any signs on your bedding of bug bites then I'd definitely go to the doctor.
0 Replies

lancetrot

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:30 am
@eeyounge,
Does your partner have herpes? You could have got a cold sore (a common type of herpes virus - not the sexual variety). Confirm with a doctor if it is serious, or a pharmacist for some decent over the counter meds to take care of it.
0 Replies